Support & Guidance
- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
- Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development
- 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
- Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was
- 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?
- 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the social opportunities?
- How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
- How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?
- 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at RWE Supply & Trading
- 7. Would you recommend RWE Supply & Trading to a friend?
- 8. What advice would you give to others applying to RWE Supply & Trading
The three main types of work within the role are: Maintaining existing algorithmic trading systems, resolving issues, and improving stability. Improving existing systems by conducting quantitative research and implementing changes in the code. Designing new algorithmic trading systems to generate further profits. Across all three types of work you are required to work with many different teams (e.g. traders, quants, developers, etc.).
I have significantly developed my programming skills, learning how to write and document code to an industry standard. My knowledge of trading strategies and the energy markets has also improved.
On placement I was given responsibility from day 1. In the role you lead the development of the projects you work on while being regularly advised by a team of experts. The code that you write directly generates profit for the company through trading the markets.
Support & Guidance
The support on placement is excellent. Within the role you feel respected and supported by the team around you, and your colleagues are more than happy to spend time with you to build your knowledge. I had multiple hours each week of support and guidance from my manager, team, stakeholders of the project, and other colleagues within the company. With this being a placement role there is an emphasis on learning on the job, whether that be through self-study online or through the RWEST Academy courses offered internally. You are actively encouraged to spend time developing your skills.
The company culture at RWEST is outstanding. As mentioned above, colleagues are happy to take time out of their schedules to teach the placements/interns about their areas of specialty. Every colleague I met was friendly and enthusiastic about their work. With the company having a “flat” structure everyone feels approachable. I found this type of company structure very enjoyable to work in, and a good match for my personality. RWE also has a large early-careers network of placement students, graduates, apprentices, working students, etc., which is great from a social side. In my time on placement, I made many friends that I hope to keep in touch with.
I had an amazing time on placement. Opting to take a year-in-industry was one of the best decisions that I have made and I would strongly recommend RWE to anyone looking for a role. I enjoyed my placement so much that I extended my time with RWE with a summer internship in another team.
Demonstrate a real interest in energy markets throughout your application. Prior to your interviews read up on current energy market news to build your awareness and set you apart. Networking via LinkedIn can also be beneficial - the current placement student may be able to answer any questions about the role that you can’t find the answer to online. Make the most of your time on placement. Proactively reach out to colleagues, show an interest, be enthusiastic, and take every opportunity that comes your way. With RWE you will have colleagues in a huge range of business areas that are often happy to discuss their work over a coffee!
Placement (10 Months+)
Data Science, Computer Science