1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
From the start everyone was nice and friendly making me feel welcome. I got to gain skills in areas other than just in marketing which will be beneficial in the future.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From the start I was invited on nights out and gained more responsibilities as I went through the year.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
To begin with I was on a structured training programme getting time in each of the departments top see what they do which included time on the shop floor and warehouse. Throughout the year if I had any problems then I could easily ask my manager for support.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
As it is a small department there were always tasks to do supporting not only the department but other departments on the site and sales representatives from all over the whole of the region.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As the year went on I gained more responsibilities for example at the beginning I supported a member of the department with some training and as time went on I did training on my own. I liked the fact I was given tasks to do myself but knew that when needed there was always someone who would help me if I was struggling with it.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have gained skills in marketing, stock management and product management which will help me both in my final year of uni and whilst looking for jobs after my degree. Also gained skills in organisation by making sure tasks were done in time and requests were dealt with efficiently. I communicated via phone and email with colleagues all over the emea region as well as in the American side of the business which Is a skill I will be able to use in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone got on with each other and could have a laugh as well as being hardworking Getting their job done
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There was not only the training on the site I was based at but I also travelled ton the head office for a company induction. There was also organised tasks which I did with the other students throughout the placement as well as regular phone calls with the other students.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given a lot of training in all areas of the supplies business to gain a good understanding of the way things worked at the beginning of the placement as well as training in areas throughout the placement
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If there was a opportunity after university I would apply to go back as they are a good company to work for.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The other students were based in the head office and I was the only one in the preston office, I travelled down a couple of times to the head office and was able to arrange a meal out with them but this was limited.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was already a student in preston and the price of living and socialising is reasonably priced compared to other cities.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are lots of pubs and bars
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Had regular nights out with colleagues, I also got involved with company charity events outside of work.