Learning Specialist Intern at Zebra Technologies

Bourne End South East
Business Management Human Resources

8.7/10

We are looking for an exceptional team member to support the Regional Learning Lead in the achievement of new Learning services offerings and events across EMEA. Learning events blend instructional design methodologies for both sales and technical audiences across the portfolio of Enterprise Asset Intelligent solutions we offer. As the Learning Specialist Intern, you will be responsible for supporting the day to day activities of the Zebra Knowledge Centre - EMEA in administering the regional learning offerings, whilst also being involved in the marketing, hosting, logistics and measurement of the impact of these experiences. In addition to this, you will become a Learning Champion for the Zebra Education Network (ZEN); you will gain an understanding of how the platform works, which you will then utilise to increase user adoption and help resolve user issues, along with taking advantage of your access to the platform for your own personal development whilst at Zebra.

I thoroughly enjoyed my year at Zebra Technologies, I was always developing my knowledge and skill set by completing important tasks (I was never asked to make drinks!), along with also taking opportunities to shadow other departments I had an interest in to help provide an insight into them.

I was treated as a normal employee, I never received pointless tasks or snide remarks from any of my colleagues.

My manager was exceptional in providing support and guidance, he would be more than willing to help arrange shadowing of other departments to develop my understandings of different sectors of the business, along with also being willing to explain tasks in further detail/go over instructions multiple times.

My manager set me 'back-burner' tasks each month, which were tasks that were not needed to be completed immediately, but still needed to be completed by the end of the month; so if it was a bit quiet one week, I could go about completing a back burner task.

The amount of responsibility given to me grew throughout the year, it started off small, but as I developed, the amount of responsibility grew too. E.g. by the end of the year I was providing Experience tours to external partners on my own along with managing events by myself.

Zebra Technologies provided me with a valuable, hands-on insight into the B2B world whilst also helping me to build upon my existing work experience and skill set so that when I finish my degree I will enter the business world with a good understanding and valuable skill set to employers.

Overall it was friendly. It would often have a buzz about it due to an event going on within the office, from the launch of a new internal learning platform to a charity event.

Zebra have a 2 week handover period between the current Intern and the new one so you learn everything there is to be effective and efficient within your role.

There was always lots of opportunity to develop. From courses on effective presentation skills that provided me with insights I will use throughout the rest of my career to opportunities to shadow other departments and go abroad on business trips.

Very, 2019 marks the first year of graduate schemes for Zebra and they are something I am definitely considering going into after university as they offer a direct route to becoming a top management figure within the company.

Every few months there would be a proper social event that all UK employees would be invited to, for example we had our Christmas party at Ascot Racecourse which was amazing. Also, as Zebra has 5-10 Interns and Graduates, there are always social outings organised by themselves.

Considering I was living in Buckinghamshire, I thought it might be expensive, but every month I was able to make it to payday without dipping back into the overdraft and sometimes I was even able to save up to £400 per month.

The Bourne End office is a 10 minute train ride away from Maidenhead, which has a decent club and a few bars; Reading is 30 minutes by train and London is 50 minutes.

There was the opportunity to spend 3 of my working days volunteering for a charity of my choice, along with a charity mountain walking challenge.