1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Zebra Technologies working within the global services organisation. Being based in the newly refurbished regional head office I had the opportunity to work alongside a large variety of teams in a very friendly environment. The company has a great ethos and makes every member of staff whatever level feel valued.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
As an intern it would be easy to assume you may be treated differently. From my experience at Zebra however this is not the case. You are invited to all applicable company events and given some great opportunities such as business travel, large project work and being able to present to the senior management team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My role specifically involved remote management, which sometimes had its challenges due to the difference in time zones. I did however feel very supported by my manager and the entire team, weekly catch up meetings were set up over Skype and was encouraged to reach out to any of the team whenever I required any assistance.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The workload of my role very much varied depending on demand and the time of year. The role was based on customer issues with company products so therefore workload relied on failures to occur. During quite periods I was brought onto projects the team were involved with as well as individual stuff to work on.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
For periods of time I was the only member of the team within the region so was given a huge amount of responsibility. I was also trusted to explain a product issue and manage a large product rework for a partner of Zebra while also being one of the main point contacts for queries they had on this.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel my time at Zebra Technologies was very beneficially to my mechanical engineering degree. While the team I was in wasn’t involved in hands on engineering we worked very closely with the engineering functions. I was also given the opportunity to travel to the US to shadow the Mechanical Engineering team.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office has been recently refurbished and has great facilities for members of staff to take advantage of. It has a very friendly environment where employees are very helpful and patient while you are learning the role. With the expansion of the internship program and the newly added graduate scheme there are many more people the same age and in the same position as you.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was very well organised and structured and was supported heavily by both HR and your supervisor. The program for placement students included one to one catch up meetings to assess development, involvement in group projects with the other interns and the chance to present on multiple occasions. It was also encouraged that you have the opportunity to shadow other teams you have interest in should you wish.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Zebra invested a lot of resources in me and allowed me to attend multiple training courses for both systems and products. I also had the opportunity to travel to the company’s corporate headquarters in the US to shadow the Mechanical Engineering department. While there I attendant product launch meetings that gave me value add experience relating directly to my university degree.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?