Operations intern assisting managers/team leaders with production supervision of engineers.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The internship was enjoyable, I learnt a lot within my time at GE Aviation, considering I'd come from a business background.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Colleagues were inclusive and I was involved in many tasks/projects and wasn't treated as an 'intern', I felt like part of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had weekly reviews with my mentor who was also my manager to discuss concerns, development etc. We would also have 2-weekly sessions with members of the intern committee to discuss our intern curriculums, development and opportunities etc.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had daily tasks to do and had the freedom to pick up additional tasks of my own accord. I was given a lot of freedom to explore the business.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was responsible for coordinating a specific process from day 1 and I was also allocated responsibility by my manager.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I carried out my internship after I graduated, but I feel that the internship has built my skills for the future and it has helped me secure a full-time permanent role in GE post-internship.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone generally got along and I was sat with people in my team, we all had a positive relationship and had a laugh together. I also sat next to a fellow intern on my department, so that helped greatly in terms of support (especially in the first few weeks).
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was based on a curriculum which consisted of compulsory presentations, e-learning and on-job training rotations around the business. Very organized.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had many intern training sessions based on different concepts, these were quite regular and varied greatly. I was also given the opportunity to complete an ILM qualification via my employer and Chwarae Teg. This helped develop my potential team leader skills for the future.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are 'roundtables' organised throughout the year which discuss future opportunities at GE e.g. grad programmes.
I in fact sescured a full time role within GE post-internship in the finance department.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Most students lived in the same village, always opportunity to socialize.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Unsure, as I lived locally (at home with parents) while on my internship.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Good nightlife, plenty of other students around and student events going on.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were volunteering opportunities e.g. marshalling the 3 peaks challenge or taking part in maths mentoring at a local secondary school.