Operations Intern at GE (General Electric)

Cardiff Wales
Aerospace/Aviation Manufacturing

7.9/10

Operations intern assisting managers/team leaders with production supervision of engineers.

The internship was enjoyable, I learnt a lot within my time at GE Aviation, considering I'd come from a business background.

Colleagues were inclusive and I was involved in many tasks/projects and wasn't treated as an 'intern', I felt like part of the team.

I had weekly reviews with my mentor who was also my manager to discuss concerns, development etc. We would also have 2-weekly sessions with members of the intern committee to discuss our intern curriculums, development and opportunities etc.

I always had daily tasks to do and had the freedom to pick up additional tasks of my own accord. I was given a lot of freedom to explore the business.

I was responsible for coordinating a specific process from day 1 and I was also allocated responsibility by my manager.

I carried out my internship after I graduated, but I feel that the internship has built my skills for the future and it has helped me secure a full-time permanent role in GE post-internship.

Everyone generally got along and I was sat with people in my team, we all had a positive relationship and had a laugh together. I also sat next to a fellow intern on my department, so that helped greatly in terms of support (especially in the first few weeks).

The internship was based on a curriculum which consisted of compulsory presentations, e-learning and on-job training rotations around the business. Very organized.

We had many intern training sessions based on different concepts, these were quite regular and varied greatly. I was also given the opportunity to complete an ILM qualification via my employer and Chwarae Teg. This helped develop my potential team leader skills for the future.

There are 'roundtables' organised throughout the year which discuss future opportunities at GE e.g. grad programmes.
I in fact sescured a full time role within GE post-internship in the finance department.

Most students lived in the same village, always opportunity to socialize.

Unsure, as I lived locally (at home with parents) while on my internship.

Good nightlife, plenty of other students around and student events going on.

There were volunteering opportunities e.g. marshalling the 3 peaks challenge or taking part in maths mentoring at a local secondary school.