Support & Guidance
- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
- Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development
- 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
- Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was
- 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?
- 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the social opportunities?
- How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
- How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?
- 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at GE Aerospace
- 7. Would you recommend GE Aerospace to a friend?
- 8. What advice would you give to others applying to GE Aerospace
The CRW Engineering intern will be required to support the team in fulfilling all the departmental responsibilities, as detailed above. The role presents an opportunity to gain a working knowledge of all Special Processes that are in use at the site with scope to gain a deeper understanding of some processes through specific project work. Introducing new repair procedures to the site (NPI) forms another large element of the role. The interns’ involvement will largely be to design and develop tools and fixtures to support new products but can also be expanded to support repair trials and eventually lead an NPI project. As part of your internship, you will be required to participate in process improvement projects where you will be required to analyse data and seek out opportunities for improvement. You will be supporting Special Process Owners in executing on projects that reduce processing time, eliminate rework, and reduce cost. Above all else, you will be required to learn fast and show a high level of initiative with the goal of establishing yourself as an effective contributor to the team in as short a timeframe as possible. In doing so, you will have the full support of a very strong and experienced Engineering team who will always make time to support your growth and development while at GE.
Gained an understanding of Standard Leadership Work and implement a weekly framework. Gained a working knowledge of GD&T and the ability to interpret and produce technical Engineering drawings. Became proficient in design for manufacture principles for both additive and conventional manufacturing. Developed Project management and communication skills to deliver tasks and projects to meet business deadlines. Developed collaborative skills to work alongside and influence key stakeholders to ensure business objectives are met. Developed skills in presenting detailed business cases, backed up with sufficient evidence.
During the placement there were certain areas crucial for the success of the business that were reliant on the responsibilities provided to the CRW Engineering intern. These included the tooling design, development and procurement, along being the 3D printing vocal. On top of this supporting the repair Industrialisation and insourcing plan ensured the project deadlines are met to the agreed plan. Collecting first time yield data ensured that supporting repair first time yield improvement projects was possible and improvements were in place. Lastly, special process support ensured that all o f the shop floor processes ran smoothly.
Support & Guidance
It was crucial to learn fast and show a high level of initiative with the goal of being an effective contributor to the team in as short a timeframe as possible. In doing so, the CRW Engineering intern had the full support of a very strong and experienced Engineering team who always made time to support growth and development while at GE. On top of this the internship curriculum provided by the intern committee ensured continuous development of professional skills and ensured that each interns progress is tracked
The atmosphere of the company has been great with everyone being very helpful in settling into the company. Everyone has always provided a great amount of support throughout the placement with everyone striving to improve the company metrics. The culture of the company has also provided a great opportunity for growth with the continuous improvement mindset, where the company promoted change and wanted to hear about innovative ideas that could improve the processes on site.
The placement was a great experience through the project work provided by the team, which was challenging through working with unfamiliar processes and learning new information everyday. On top of this the company provided a great networking opportunities which allowed for a greater understanding of the company values and on top of this the social team events provided a great opportunity to get to know everyone in the team. Overall, the year provided an opportunity to greatly develop professional skills and commercial awareness, which differs significantly from the university setting.
When applying to GE Aerospace it is important to highlight any technical interests and achievements and focus on hands on application of your learning. It is important to showcase the interpersonal skills and communication, which is crucial within the business. In order to boost the knowledge it would also be useful to become more commercially aware and learn how engineering companies do business. Lastly a knowledge about LEAN principles and company's leadership behviousrs would also be useful.
Placement (10 Months+)
Aeronautical & Aerospace Engineering