1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Great people, the projects are very interesting and you get real responsibilities on the job.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
At Schlumberger everyone is treated equally, no matter how young/inexperienced you may be.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Managers and supervisors are very approachable, as well as the rest of the team. It is generally very easy to ask questions and get help.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It depends on the duration of the placement. I felt that my year-long placement with SLB was less intense than my summer placement, always with SLB. Either way, it never gets boring and there is a lot to learn.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A lot! The more proactive you are, the more responsibilities you get given. I was entirely responsible for my projects, however I had help and guidance if needed.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Training at SLB is a major thing, you are trained on technical and non-technical things. It helps you develop new skills and raise your awareness on others. Other skills that I feel SLB has helped me develop include, but are not limited to, team-working, time management, experimental skills and engineering design.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very friendly and open-minded. People outside your team are also happy to help at any time.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Both the HR and engineering departments were very organised, both in terms of logistics (e.g. relocating to the new city) and training/project work.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
As said previously, training is really good at SLB.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Schlumberger is definitely a great way to fast-track your career as soon as you graduate!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes! All the interns were very social and there was never a time to be bored or lonely.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
My placement in the UK was fine, Norway was very expensive. However, the salary was scaled to the different living costs.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Full of events for students!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
You can join a gym, a social club or anything really. It depends on what you like.