Assisting Supervisor with research in fluids and materials.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My internship at Schlumberger was great! I got to learn a lot which I wouldn't have normally been able to in a university lab setting. It was definitely a steep learning curve, but my supervisor was extremely helpful and every aspect of the job was interesting!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
There is a very tight knit community at Schlumberger. It's the kind of place where everyone is very approachable and helpful. It was also very motivating to see my work being valuable in the company.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
A good work-life balance! I had enough work on a daily basis to keep me busy and motivated, without feeling overwhelmed or stressed out. Moreover, all the colleagues are helpful and understanding.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learned a lot during my placement, from how industrial research works to practical lab skills. Definitely skills for life!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very vibrant, with always new science and research to talk about. There were lots of webinars, talks and peer reviews. Colleagues were always open and encouraging and throughout the year there were lots of fun events!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was very well organised, in the first few weeks I was trained by the out-going intern which was very helpful.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love the opportunity to be able to work for Schlumberger again! The research carried out here is fantastic and everyone seems to enjoy what they do here. It is just such a positive and vibrant workplace.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were lots of different sports clubs from tennis to badminton and volleyball. We also used to play cards during lunch break which was extremely fun!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Much cheaper than London, but definitely still expensive as Cambridge is still a student city.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?