Compositional analysis of Drilling fluids via XRF and IR.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
This placement at Schlumberger Cambridge Research was spectacular. Firstly the people here are very friendly and approachable, whenever you have a problem you can ask for help. The work done here is also very fulfilling with research affecting management decisions. However, the best thing is the sense of community within the interns and staff, there are plenty of opportunists for sports and social activities some are subsidised by the company as well.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Most of the time, you get recognition for your work and the people here genuinely care for your well-being both inside and outside the workplace. There are multiple safety trainings, and they even give away a bike helmet for free. There are multiple first-aiders and mental health officers as well for consultation anytime.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I've been given a lot of support by my manager on how to effectively work as a research scientist, giving me a very good mindset for future studies. Other than that, he also takes care of my general well being, and as a point of contact for any concern that I might have.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Since my work is mostly involving field samples and analysis, sometimes there are gaps during which there is minimal work to do. However, during sample season, there is plenty of things to do and things can get busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I felt like all my results were trusted no questions asked, really motivating me to do a good job in even the most casual experiment. All my results and samples I make/analyse were directly used to write research reports so I felt the responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Laboratory skills is a yes, I have improved in this area. I feel that I am also better and taking the initiative in proposing projects and analyzing the data to make conclusions. I also learnt a great deal on how to make a good presentations well.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Amazing, it was really peaceful when you need it but also fun during break times. The environment encourages a lot of interaction with other researchers on a daily basis, giving a lot of flow of ideas and innovation.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I felt that there is a lot of flexible structure involved with the placement. It was clear and well organised. Your manager would also make a personalized overview for you.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I've been trained a lot in things that could carry over in the future, especially in HSE and theings involving the lab. They also gave a general overview of many other skills such as IT as well.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Right now due to COVID and oil prices not so much sadly. But there are always opportunities as there are hires right now in the company
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
YES YES YES, this is the best part of my internship, the intern community is amazing, we gather to play cards or sports at lunch and there are also gaming nights and cake on a routine.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The lunch at the company is one of the best ever cafeteria's I've ever dined in, it is also subsidized! Living costs are not much in terms of rent as this is not London as well. Social activities are also great, as there are many student discounts and you can join Cambridge university societies as well.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I personal don't enjoy night life that much, but there are places to go to, especially if you mare a student alongside Cambridge University students.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yea, there are events that happen quite often in site like symposium events and Intern day. There are also Christmas parties and loads meetups/pub nights.