I implemented two interfaces to help use two of the main tools developed by my team.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Overall, I enjoyed the three months I spent with Schlumberger in the Oslo area. I was given two interesting projects to work on, which provided my with technical challenges and gave me some insight into what it would be like to work for such a company.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were very friendly, especially those in my team. They all attended my final presentation even if some of them could have skipped it, and were always helpful whenever I needed anything.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Unfortunately, my direct supervisor was away for half of my internship, and the other person I worked for did not work from the same office, which meant that communication was difficult and that guidance was not as available as I would have hoped.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My workload overall was very good, but not very balanced as there were some days/weeks where I did not have enough work as I needed feedback/guidance and others which were in consequence too busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Even though the projects I worked on were rather small, I was given almost full responsibility for them. One of the interfaces I developed was even deployed before I left, which was extremely gratifying.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I developed many technical skills, but also learnt how to work independently and produce results even without much guidance. I am sure that I will be able to use both the technical and general skills I gained in my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was quite relaxed, even if people were busy/stressed because of coming deadlines. Some small events (pancakes once a week, a health day with many activities, a barbecue, etc.) were also there to help us come out of the daily routine, which I particularly enjoyed.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was well set up, especially in the background (eg great accomodation was provided). A buddy was there in the beginning to help me settle in.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I did not feel that there was much personal training/development invested in my.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Schlumberger is a global and high profile company, for which I would love to work full time, as they have numerous benefits such as travelling opportunities, high salary, etc.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were not any events to get the interns to socialise, which I thought was not great as the other interns were not in my department and it was difficult to socialise with them.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living and socialising was quite high as I was working in Norway, but thankfully I had a good salary which allowed me to enjoy my stay.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The town centre was small but nice, and had a pub which many employees liked to go to after work once in a while.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were some opportunities, but not really proposed by Schlumberger.