Intern at Schlumberger

Information Technology

6.3/10

6.6

4.8

I implemented two interfaces to help use two of the main tools developed by my team.

Overall, I enjoyed the three months I spent with Schlumberger in the Oslo area. I was given two interesting projects to work on, which provided my with technical challenges and gave me some insight into what it would be like to work for such a company.

My colleagues were very friendly, especially those in my team. They all attended my final presentation even if some of them could have skipped it, and were always helpful whenever I needed anything.

Unfortunately, my direct supervisor was away for half of my internship, and the other person I worked for did not work from the same office, which meant that communication was difficult and that guidance was not as available as I would have hoped.

My workload overall was very good, but not very balanced as there were some days/weeks where I did not have enough work as I needed feedback/guidance and others which were in consequence too busy.

Even though the projects I worked on were rather small, I was given almost full responsibility for them. One of the interfaces I developed was even deployed before I left, which was extremely gratifying.

I developed many technical skills, but also learnt how to work independently and produce results even without much guidance. I am sure that I will be able to use both the technical and general skills I gained in my future career.

The atmosphere was quite relaxed, even if people were busy/stressed because of coming deadlines. Some small events (pancakes once a week, a health day with many activities, a barbecue, etc.) were also there to help us come out of the daily routine, which I particularly enjoyed.

The internship was well set up, especially in the background (eg great accomodation was provided). A buddy was there in the beginning to help me settle in.

I did not feel that there was much personal training/development invested in my.

Schlumberger is a global and high profile company, for which I would love to work full time, as they have numerous benefits such as travelling opportunities, high salary, etc.

There were not any events to get the interns to socialise, which I thought was not great as the other interns were not in my department and it was difficult to socialise with them.

The cost of living and socialising was quite high as I was working in Norway, but thankfully I had a good salary which allowed me to enjoy my stay.

The town centre was small but nice, and had a pub which many employees liked to go to after work once in a while.

There were some opportunities, but not really proposed by Schlumberger.