1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my placement very much. I saw a lot of different sides of the company and gather great experience as a result.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were very supportive, which made my job a lot easier. No question was too silly and you could always chat to someone if you needed any help.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was very supportive and thought me a great deal.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It truly depends on the day and the period, generally I would say I was busy handling communication with external suppliers and also some internal communications.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was trusted with very important tasks from the very beginning. After I had had my on-boarding (week 1) I was assigned an independent project, which I had 2 months to complete. Even though it seemed impossible at the start with the support of my colleagues it was a great success at the end.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I got to see the theory that I had explored in university in practice. It was definitely a valuable experience. I would recommend applying at Schlumberger.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It is a great atmosphere, everyone is very friendly and approachable.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was very organised with well defined responsibilities and tasks, both short and long term.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Schlumberger demands all of its employees to go through certain training at the beginning of the employment. The company also has a good learning platform, where you can complete additional training and certifications.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Schlumberger values its interns and they put a great emphasis on talent development and promoting from within. This means that as a former intern you will have an advantage to people who are applying for the first time.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were four other interns at the location I was based at so we socialized quite a lot.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived in London so it was quite expensive (considering the prices of train tickets), but some of the interns lived in Three Bridges, which was a better option in terms of spending money on transportation.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The office is in proximity to London so the the nightlife is pretty good.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were a couple of thematic events in the office. Such as 'Fitness Day', which featured a variety of mini activities. We got the chance to play Wii; go to the office gym during lunch hours. You could enter a variety of competitions and win variety of prizes such as fitbit and protein shakers.