1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My internship was in consulting, I was employed at a company that provided services for different kinds of businesses actually, just that the project I worked on while I was there was to do with a client involved in charity efforts.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Most people at work worked in a team. I felt that everyone was quite helpful especially in the beginning when I was still getting introduced to the type of project they were doing. So simply put, I joined in on an existing work team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I worked normal 8 hours like everybody else, but with the consulting and research work in our charity project, the work wasn't too drastic or stressful. I would definitely day that once I got familiar with my everyday tasks, it started getting easier and more enjoyable.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I am a business major at university and I would love to get more into consulting as my career since I already got a little bit of experience in that from this internship. One of my requirements from university was to do the internship so I have fulfilled that. On a personal level, it was great to intern in China with the help of GAC, most things went smoothly.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
During work hours it was always quite busy, and generally silent, unless during meetings. Most of my work which was largely about research was done at the computer, but everything was submitted to my supervisor. Everyone I happened to cross paths with were just friendly but I only got close to a few people on my team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I went to China through Go Abroad China which I found through the internet. Everything was organised for me: finding the internship, apartment, the GAC lady met me at the airport in Beijing, visa, stuff like that.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was paid a bit of a stipend but my advise is that anyone coming must have some emergency money too. Cost of living in China is cheap is you can handle eating Chinese food, but beware that western restaurants are a little expensive, you are better off trying to cook or getting a cheap takeaway. GAC had some weekend activities where they would invite everyone to hang out. I think each month there would be something organised.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?