1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my work I enjoyed going to work, I felt I was doing something valuable and worthwhile. I really miss it all now that I have returned back home. I worked on the front desk in the reception of one of the most popular hotel, The Marriott Hotel in Beijing China and worked in every department in the hotel. It was a really great experience.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valued by my colleagues, I worked with fellow interns from all over the world and made really good friends. They were more experienced than i was and helped me out when i had difficulties serving customers.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
At the beginning of my internship, the first 2 weeks were training, were all interns were taking through the hotels processes and customs. This week was dull as there was really nothing much to do, but our supervisors were really supportive in helping those of us with no experience get used to working on various tasks
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
After the training week, I was really busy, I started at the reception, attending to customers and setting up events. It was really busy each day but engaging and fun
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had very little experience before i started my internship so during the training I had to be very attentive and learn quickly. Once i got how things were done, I was given more tasks each day and worked with various teams at the hotel.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I now have an insight into working in the tourism industry and the skills necessary to succeed in my career field.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was professional and hands on, though we had sometime to have fun when we were free
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Well organised. My tasks were laid out weekly so I knew what to prepare for for the following week.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was able to ask questions or clarify any misunderstandings I had anytime.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If i got the opportunity to work in the Marriott hotel again, Ill take it but maybe at the Shanghai branch
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We were busy the majority of times, but we did have time to hang out when we were free.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living in Beijing is fairly cheap depending on where you stay. Since I was offered accommodation by the hotel and was getting paid, I was comfortable during my internship
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We did have a few parties after accommodation VIP or celebrities.