Main departments: Electrification and Plant, Distribution and Plant, 25kV AC Overheads, 750 DC conductor rail, Route Asset Management, Project Management, Signalling and Telecommunications.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The Industrial Placement is well rounded. I really enjoyed my placement due to number of experiences and opportunities in various departments, such as Electrification and Plant, Route Asset Management and Signalling.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The culture within Network Rail is amazing. You are really valued by your colleagues, Most importantly, colleagues which are from other teams or departments; they share and help you with their knowledge and experiences which you can't obtain in such a small time span.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Your managers are there to discuss your progress through out your placement. They always support and guide you in which ever area you lack. There are monthly 121 sessions with your manager.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It mainly depends on what kind of team you are working in what kind of work is there. Is it track based or more office based? Therefore, it completely depends on the situation. Overall, there is a good work life balance within Network Rail.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Quite a lot of responsibility. You experience things with your own hands, especially, in the core technical departments namely Electrification and Plant. As you go out on track and work with the main team only after obtaining your relevant competencies.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The overall placement has developed not only my technical sills but also intra-personal skills as well, namely, numerical, analytical, problem solving and team working skills. These skills will help me obtain engineering qualifications from institutions quite early due to my immense work experience.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It is pretty good and friendly environment.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Quite well organised. You start your placement initially with one team and it mainly depends on you which area you want experience more. Therefore, you can develop in those areas in which you want to go in.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
In terms of personal training and development, Network Rail invests a lot in you.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
To a great extent. I really look forward to work with Network rail after my graduation from university.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, you meet fellow placements quite often and due to this I have made quite a number of friends.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, a lot of activities. Example: Fundraising and CSR