General assisstant to principal mechanical development engineer. Designing and implementing mechanical upgrades to existing product and testing and introducing new parts for development of new product. Assisted performance engineering including running tests at test cell
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Hugely varied projects, good work load, rarely quiet
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Opportunity to work with important projects
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Constant assisstance available, encouraged to ask questions
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Rarely bored, constant reviewing of jobs and workload with supervisor to ensure good balance
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Worked on brand new soon to be released product and at sharp end of mechanical development
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
More general and practical experience than modules on a university course, but professional experience and business practises will be invaluable
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Communication from HR poor at times and students not dealt with well during redundancies of recession. Local department set up fairly well structured though
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Training decreased as placement progressed due to cost cutting
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Friendly people to work with would encourage me returning
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
High intake of students (although this has dropped during recession) so lots of banter and nights out
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very low rent and lower cost of living than university
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Poor at best
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Company has community projects but only limited opportunities