Support & Guidance
- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
- Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development
- 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
- Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was
- 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?
- 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the social opportunities?
- How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
- How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?
- 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at American Express
- 7. Would you recommend American Express to a friend?
- 8. What advice would you give to others applying to American Express
As a marketing intern in the working in the Amex Offers team, my role revolved around thinking of, setting up and launching an Amex Offer. As well as lots of networking, my daily tasks incorporated speaking to colleagues both internally and externally to get the information and assistance I needed for launching my offer, as well as data analysis and general project management. I was also in charge of designing the communications for the offer, so brainstormed ideas and worked with an agency in order to create email comms for our customers.
I learnt so much from my internship - not only technical abilities like how to use certain software and how to create an email communication and Amex Offer from scratch, but also a lot about how to work in a corporate business environment. My communication and project management skills have grow exponentially, and so has my confidence! I learnt so much about how to conduct and use data analysis to guide and track our projects, and how this can help the team and wider company reach our goals. I also learnt how to deal with challenges when they were thrown on me, and how to be flexible as a result of this.
Yes - so much! It was amazing to be given the full trust of your manager and team to try things out, make mistakes, and get great results. I was given control of an entire project and, whilst my manager helped me every step of the way, she ensured that I had the final say and control over what my project was and where it ended up. I was encouraged to speak to wider teams and departments on my own time, and create those relationships that are so crucial to working life.
Support & Guidance
I felt extremely supported by my manager, team and recruitment team during my internship, despite it being virtual. My manager and I had regular one-to-one meetings in order to discuss my project, as well as networking opportunities. I was given a buddy by the company before I joined, who I was able to reach out to and find out more about the internship before I started, and who I kept in regular contact with throughout my internship for advice on networking, presentations and project management. I was also assigned a buddy within my own team who I could go to to ask anything and everything which was extremely helpful, especially at the beginning when you are learning the ropes of the business!
The company culture was so welcoming and inclusive - it was such a lovely community to be a part of! Despite my internship being virtual, the recruitment team made such an effort to integrate the interns and make us feel welcomed and supported. We had weekly social events with all of the interns, and I also had weekly chats with my fellow Marketing interns so we could get to know each other better. There were also department and company wide (both nationally and internationally) talks that helped create a better sense of the wider Amex community we were a part of. People were also encouraged to take days off which I really appreciated, and were flexible for working parents etc
So much! It was such a great experience and whilst I learnt so much, I also developed such a passion both for marketing and for the company. My work was exciting and impactful, which made me feel valued by my team and wider department. My team were also so welcoming and friendly and it was a pleasure to work with them and gain insights into their roles and experience. I was able to talk to such a variety of people and find out so much more about marketing in both depth and breadth. I am excited to be returning next year and can't wait to see what is in store for Amex in the future!
I definitely think that staying calm and being yourself in the interview process was a large reason for my success - by that point, they already know you are smart enough for the role, but they want to see how you think, but also how you are as an individual! Remember to be smiley and chatty, and if you are unsure about something, just ask! I would also highly recommend reaching out to your assigned buddy and having a chat with them before the internship starts. I did this, and it really calmed my nerves, hearing advise from someone who had been in the exact same position as me. I would also advise others to take full advantage of networking during your internship - you have the opportunity to meet so many incredible people and hear about their experience and projects, so do your research, come with some questions and be engaging!
Internship (1-4 Months)