Placement students at TPP get the opportunity to work alongside all teams, assisting in areas such as recruitment, marketing and finance.
• General office administration
• Managing supplier accounts
• Planning company events
• Supporting the marketing team
• Supporting the recruitment team
• Booking travel and accommodation
• Managing company merchandise
• Dealing with invoices
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Working at TPP was really rewarding. I was given responsibility as soon as I started my placement. The company is really social and involving. There's a real team ethic about the company, and I have really enjoyed my placement and the insight it has offered me.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
On the placement, we work in a team of 5. I felt highly valued by my colleagues as we each brought different qualities to the team which meant we could all help one another on different tasks. Everyone at TPP is lovely and you could have a conversation with anyone in the office. The responsibility and trust given to you as a placement student makes you feel highly valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Rather than supervisors, we had colleagues in another closely related team to ensure we were managing with our work and ensure we were all happy. Their support throughout the placement was amazing and they were always on hand to help us deal with our workload.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Day to day, the workload would vary. However, there would always be something to do and tasks to complete. The days go by really fast as you're always engaged in a job. Sometimes we would get an unexpected job to carry out. Nevertheless, we would be able to complete all our work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
From the very start I was given large responsibility. All of the placement students are entrusted with their own task which you are responsible for the whole placement. Furthermore, the placement students get to represent the company on recruitment events and external events with the Accounts team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
When I look back to the beginning of my placement, I can see the huge personal development and range of skills I have developed. Skills such as organisation, time management and delegating tasks will help me with my final year studies. In general, being in an office environment and attending conferences will provide me with tangible experience for my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was great, it promotes a lot of teamwork as there's a busy atmosphere where people are able to have team discussions. However, the office is quiet enough for you to be able to focus and carry out your individual tasks.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
TPP have had placement students for over 10 years and you can tell that they've refined the process over this time. At the beginning of the placement you have a month with the placement students who you will be taking over from. In this period you acquire all the knowledge you need for a successful placement year. The transition period really helps you settle into the role.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We are not placed on any training courses. However, the amount of time invested in our training on the job was huge.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The company treats its staff really well. The graduate jobs look really involving and the opportunity to be able to work on a number of the company's projects is really appealing.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There are numerous opportunities to be social at TPP. I would play football every week with colleagues on the 5 a side pitch the company provides for us. On top of that we can all go to the local pub and socialise with colleagues.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I found that costs were slightly higher than when I was at university. However this was only marginal.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are lots of pubs and restaurants in the local area, these are great for socialising. However, for nights out and a bit more variety, you will want to travel into Leeds.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were lots of opportunities outside of work to get involved in activities. You can play sports with colleagues through the week. The company also holds house events where everyone gets together and enjoys some team sports.