Placement students at TPP get the opportunity to work alongside all teams, assisting in areas such as recruitment, marketing and finance.
• General office administration
• Managing supplier accounts
• Planning company events
• Supporting the marketing team
• Supporting the recruitment team
• Booking travel and accommodation
• Managing company merchandise
• Dealing with invoices
During your time at TPP you will get the chance to work on an individual project of your choice, in any area of the business. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience and develop new skills for your career after university.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The TPP Placement year is full of opportunities to develop as an individual. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the company and continue to do so. Understanding more about the company's main product - SystmOne is one aspect I've enjoyed most.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The placement students work collectively as a team. Each member holds great value and this is emphasised by various members of staff who we work closely with. Due to the nature of the job, we are involved across the works of the full company therefore our work holds great importance and this is reiterated through a flat hierarchy.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Guidance and support is offered even before the placement commences. TPP provided an enrollment day where I was able to become familiar and get to know those who I'd be working alongside. This certainly made me feel more comfortable on the first day.
Guidance and support has also been given throughout my placement and has aided me to develop significantly as an individual through the feedback given.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Each day brought new challenges and with that new opportunities to learn. There were certainly busier periods throughout the placement but this was dealt with effectively as a team. Competencies in time management and prioritising have certainly improved.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Placement students are given a lot of responsibility at the start and throughout the 13 months. All information is handed over by the previous year outs which gives you confidence when carrying out the job yourself. Some responsibilities include: Creating and chasing invoices, Booking travel and accommodation, Administration, Recruitment, Marketing and many more.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The experience you gain from a placement year is invaluable not only for your final year but when understanding the works of a business. The guidance and support has certainly helped assist the improvement of competencies such as time management, pioritisation and all round confidence.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was always bubbly. I always experienced a smile or brief conversation when passing in the corridor. It was a great working environment.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement is 13 months long to allow experienced placement students a month to hand over all their knowledge to the new year outs. This gave me more confidence and also the chance to ask for help if needed.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company heavily invests in all colleagues, especially placement students. Throughout my time at TPP I was given endless opportunities to learn and improve competencies such as time management and organisation.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
TPP is a great company to work for and I certainly will be applying for a graduate role following completion of my placement. The placement has given me the opportunity to explore various departments and has heavily influenced my decision.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were various opportunities to socialise. Some examples include football Thursdays and pub Fridays. Any event that TPP put on, provides the chance to socialise with all departments which helps create a unity in the working environment.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Due to the nature of the business we are required to live within a 15 minute radius of the office. This however does cover various student areas which are reasonably priced.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in Leeds is heavily influenced by the universities therefore there is plenty to do. This ranges from nightclubs to mini golf. There is always something to do every night of the week if you wanted to.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
TPP offer various opportunities to get involved with work colleagues outside of work. Some examples include football on a Thursday night and pub Fridays at the local.