1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The 10 weeks I spent at Amex went so far above and beyond my expectations for any internship. We were given so much responsibility from day one, we were give total freedom to take the direction of our project in whichever direction we wanted, and we were given the opportunity to focus on learning whatever skills we wanted - be they hard or soft.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were incredible.The culture at Amex encourages you to ask questions, find help, speak to people and learn from everyone around you. As an intern, we were valued sooo highly. Nobody bat an eyelid when I asked them questions or asked them for their time. They were overjoyed to help at every opportunity.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My management and supervision was outstanding! There to help with all problems. From technical support and figuring out difficult problems, to checking up to see that I was enjoying my work, not to mention constant encouragement and support.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was as busy as I wanted to be. If I wanted to spend all day working hard on my project, I could. If I wanted to spend some time learning about somebody else's job, I could. If I wanted to work on a side project, no problem! Being given this level of trust was so amazing and only encourages you to work even harder.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
So much! We were totally in control of our project.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I learnt from Amex are totally invaluable. The training I received taught me so many new skills that have opened so many doors for my personal interests, my degree and beyond.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office is amazing. Everybody is friendly, supportive, chatty, enthusiastic!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was extremely well organised. There were lots of events organised for us to learn as much as possible about what happens inside of the organisation.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invested so much in us!! We were each assigned a buddy (a graduate engineer at the company) who guided us and was there for any support that we wanted. We got given laptops for the internship, and all kinds of freebies!
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social scene was amazing. From pizzas in the office, to drinks after work to generally just hanging out all the time.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Brighton is pretty expensive
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nighlife in Brighton is so much fun!! There are so many bars, restaurants and clubs to explore
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Lots of opportunities!! From drinks, to lying on the beach, to dinners and days out.