Technology Internship at American Express

Computer Science Design
American Express is a Top Employer

9.0/10

9.4

I absolutely loved this internship! Amex truly values all of their interns and gives them real work to do - I have contributed to the actual Amex codebase. There were also so many intern events (improv class, boat party, data centre tour, bowling, rounders) organised by the recruitment team to get to know everyone and grow as a person.

Every single person I have met at Amex has treated me with not only respect but with kindness and generosity. I had the chance to meet with multiple VPs and SVPs who spoke to us for hours about their journey and giving us advice!

My placement leader was available at all times for any questions or queries I may have.

Had days where I was coding from 9 to 5 and others where I had no work to do. The work comes in waves (which was expected in a bigger firm).

I was given a lot of independence with my project which was greatly appreciated while also having guidance from my placement leader when I needed it.

I have learnt over 10 new technical skills (and I have been coding for over 6 years) e.g. React, JS, Node, GraphQL, Sketch.
I have also grown as a person - developing my networking skills and experiencing the corporate world for the first time.

The atmosphere was amazing - so friendly and generous! Everyone was always happy to help!

So well-organised from start to finish! Met weekly for coffee for any hiccups that may have occurred and so many fun events.

Yes! We frequently went out for drinks after work and did things at the weekend.

Brighton is quite an expensive area but not as bad as London

Brighton has tonnes of bars, nightclubs and other fun things to do!