1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I absolutely loved this internship! Amex truly values all of their interns and gives them real work to do - I have contributed to the actual Amex codebase. There were also so many intern events (improv class, boat party, data centre tour, bowling, rounders) organised by the recruitment team to get to know everyone and grow as a person.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Every single person I have met at Amex has treated me with not only respect but with kindness and generosity. I had the chance to meet with multiple VPs and SVPs who spoke to us for hours about their journey and giving us advice!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My placement leader was available at all times for any questions or queries I may have.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Had days where I was coding from 9 to 5 and others where I had no work to do. The work comes in waves (which was expected in a bigger firm).
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of independence with my project which was greatly appreciated while also having guidance from my placement leader when I needed it.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have learnt over 10 new technical skills (and I have been coding for over 6 years) e.g. React, JS, Node, GraphQL, Sketch.
I have also grown as a person - developing my networking skills and experiencing the corporate world for the first time.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was amazing - so friendly and generous! Everyone was always happy to help!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
So well-organised from start to finish! Met weekly for coffee for any hiccups that may have occurred and so many fun events.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes! We frequently went out for drinks after work and did things at the weekend.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Brighton is quite an expensive area but not as bad as London
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Brighton has tonnes of bars, nightclubs and other fun things to do!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?