1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have enjoyed my time during my placement with Network Rail. The most integral parts of my placement include exposure to real projects, challenging yet interesting varied tasks and support from work-colleagues providing me opportunities to personal and career development increasing core skills and business acumen.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I must appreciate support from my working colleagues who have been helpful throughout and groomed me with every step. If you are willing to do your part, every one I came across in the company was helpful and showed concern.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I felt very fortunate to have every support I was expecting from my line manager as well as senior colleagues. They cared for every necessity and showed concern to every request; more than that they always guided me if I was stuck somewhere.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was quite involved in different projects which asked for collaborations amongst different departments. I would say I was given opportunities and I enthusiastically took them as well as ensured to deliver value. However, I enjoyed the busy routine as it was never boring.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
At first, I was given theoretical knowledge of the technicalities of the system, business, and projects. With time when I was more aware and confident, I was given few projects to lead as well as work alongside which gave me hand on experience of things and enhanced skills.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
All the technical skills I have gained during my placement will be quite helpful in my Electrical Engineering degree. However, the most important skills which I have learnt and will stay for a long time would be professional skills, business ethics, etiquettes and essential exposure/knowledge of the industry.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere at my work-place was very relaxed. However, there were some pre-set rules/code of conduct to which everyone obliged - one of the main one was to respect every one and their opinions. All of this allowed a very professional relaxed environment.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The setup was very structured and gave opportunities to learn and grow skills. Since it was organised, it allowed me to undertake several projects as well as deliver value with essential learning.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company gave me every opportunity to enhance my skills and exposure as well as backed my participation in different events. They allowed me to do all basic courses to better understand company and its values.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Really good. There are many opportunities one can avail if you spend your time well and deliver value to all your projects.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, quite a few.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I have done my placement in Preston and it was very reasonable/decent with the cost of living and socialising there.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was quite good with regards to socialising and going out with friends.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were many volunteering opportunities to get involved in outside of work like reaching out to schools to do STEM coaching and charity fundraiser programmes. I participated in quite a few.