1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have worked with some great people and have learnt alot about the company, my role and about myself also. It has been an enjoyable experience and i look forward to coming into work each day.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I have worked in 2 close nit teams and fitted in well to both and believe that i make a difference as i am a valuable team member.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Not only do we have our assignment manager but we also have a placement coordinator, who looks after our best interests. we have a meeting with her once a month to discuss our progress and any issues we may be having. Not only this but i am in regular email and phone contact with her and has been very supportive.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I have learnt to become more organised whilst working at Network Rail which has helped me to devlop the skill to prioritise my workload. Although occasionally there will be those odd days where i will be extremley busy or bored because i have been on top of my workload too much.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
i have been given more responsibility depending on how well i have coped with taking on new areas of support. However after a rotation the role i am in now allows me to manage my own time and get on with what i need to.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
There is no doubt in my mind the biggest skill i will have aquired is organisation, which will help me enormously when i go into my final year to manage that work life balance that is recquired.
I have also improved my computer skills and am now able to use oracle which is largley used database with many companies, not only that but my email, powerpoint and excel skills have come on leaps and bounds which will be hugely helpful in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
On the whole it is a good atmosphere in the office. Although there have been numerous occasions where i have found some of my colleagues behaing in a cloak and dagger way, which is quite reactive as opposed to being a proactive happy team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Overall it has been well organised and i feel like i have slotted into the organisation well. There has been so much support given by our line managers and particualarly by our placement coordinator.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I believe having a placement co-ordinator has been enoromous investment, as she is concerned with our progress and our personal development which are massivley important.
With the time and effort that has been put into helping us get the best of the year, i believe the investment is massive because hopefully this will lead us onto the graduate scheme at Network Rail.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I hope to be able to secure a place on the graduate scheme after being given this opportunity.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Overall within IM there are 10 placement students 5 in manchester 5 in London. overall we all get on like a house on fire and are in regualar contact. Not only this but i have met and speak to some of the graduates that on the graduate scheme. We have a really good support network between all of us.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
i lived in manchester already before i got this placement so i already knew and liked a variety of places here.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I have been on various team nights out, which is always a good laugh.