Year In Industry Engineer at Network Rail

Milton Keynes East Midlands
Civil Engineering

6.0/10

4.8

Part of the track geometry team in the safety, technical and Engineering department. Assisting projects and gaining experience of the railway.

I was given many opportunities to expand my knowledge and experiences in all aspects of the railway. Much of the work I was given was in interesting projects that intrigued me but the work was sometimes quite dull and not challenging enough.

By certain colleagues I felt like a very valuable member of the team but by the wider group it seemed like I was more of a hindrance than a bonus.

My managers were incredibly supportive and always willing to give me their time if I had any questions.

There were peaks and troughs but for the most part my workload was manageable.

At certain times in certain projects I was given significant responsibility but overall my responsibilities were quite low.

Many of the skills I have learned or improved this year are soft skills and will help me with whatever I do in the future. Regarding technical skills I am happy with the development I received but considering that I don't want to continue with a career in track they are probably not entirely transferable.

Quite reserved and quiet with times of casual chatting and intellectual conversation.

The placement was very well laid out and most of the people involved were committed to keeping it running. On the rare occasion that issues occurred they were quickly resolved.

I received several training courses and should I have wished to attend more I would have been supported. I was always being encouraged to pursue the chartership characteristics.

I have been offered a place on the graduate scheme and seriously considering pursuing it as it offers an exciting civil scheme that interests me.

The other students and I got on well and socialised regularly.

It was quite expensive compared to what I am used to but affordable.

The nightlife was poor and expensive, I rarely went out.

I played badminton with some colleagues but I was part of a club external to work so I didn't really look for it.