1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Very nuturing enviroment. You dont have to be the smartest person, just the most enthusiastic and willing to learn to be good at this job. Everything is taught while being on the job and you grow within the team. Theres many oppotunities to venture to other departments too.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone here loves to see a fresh face. Being young and willing makes you the best candidate. Having a good attitude towards everything really makes u fit in well with everyone.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My metors and line managers continue to push me forward towards development. Towards proffesional qualifications. Everyone wants everyone to grow and stay with the company.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At first theres alot learning so its harder to stay busy. But once you have learnt the basics, and if you are willing more important workload will come which keeps u busy and makes u feel valued.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I have various different tasks and projects with low responsibility and high. But most of the times there is real impacts made from the work output.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills learned are invaluable. It will not be experienced in university. It has helped indirectly, with my studies. But not its not all directly related to my degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There are team food and people drink alot of tea. Best thing would be to make tea and also accept tea if asked if u want any beverage. It is quiet laued back and easy going.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There is a network rail learning structure for all placement students. There is a very nuturing and growth concentrated enviroment.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I have been sent across the country for extra curricular training that is going to help me with different branches of engineering. This is to broaden my horizon and so i go to every part of engineering aspect of the business.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
9/10 students that apply for the graduate role and have done the industrial placement, get in. This shows how easy it becomes to permanently find a job in the organisation after.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There are alot of placement students so there is always social groups and there is an initial induction for all the students.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
In birmingham the pay corrolate with the living cost. It is relatively cheap compared to london so the pay is good and i can live comfortably and go on holidays with the money earned.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Birmingham city central always has a busy night life so there is always something to do.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are alot of volenteering programs in the company. Extra curricular activities and clubs are all over.