Mechanical Engineer - Year in Industry at Network Rail

York Yorkshire and Humberside
Engineering

9.0/10

Working on a variety of railway projects across a variety of disciplines including: track, signalling, overhead line and distribution & plant.

I was given the opportunity to get involved with multimillion pound projects from day 1, to truly make a difference. Every team I worked with treated me as one of them, and I never felt like just a student.

Every team I worked with treated me amazingly.

I was given the flexibility to plan and organise my year based on what I wanted to achieve and I was always supported on that path.

It varied from week to week, but for the most part I was suitably busy, but never stressed.

Towards the end of my placement I was project managing projects, meeting with stakeholders and directors, and driving decisions - and I loved it.

Working for network rail has allowed me to develop a number of soft skills that I wouldn’t have ordinarily had the chance to pick up. It has 100% prepared me for the world of work.

It varied from office to office but was overwhelmingly positive.

I was the first intern in my part of the business so it was a little slow to start but by the end everything was running smoothly.

I attended numerous training courses and was able to learn and develop in several ways.

I have almost certainly managed to guarantee a job of some sort for when I graduate.

I didn’t really mix with any other placement students but I got on really well with my colleagues so that didn’t matter.

Living in York wasn’t cheap, but I never struggled to afford anything.

As good as any other city I would have to say.

I would say this is down to how much time you’re willing to invest, but I found things to do.