6 months working in store - up to Assistant manager level
multiple weeks of shadowing area managers
6 months at head office doing project work
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Very much enjoyed aspects of the placement year.
If you really make a point to get on with everyone in store it can be an enjoyable experience.
During time at head office you will also be with other placement students which make the experience more fun
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Overall felt valued by colleagues. However, it can be difficult to sometimes get respect from store staff as many of them have been with the business 10+ years and you are going in to be their manager immediately.
During project work at head office, i felt very valued and Area Managers and directors were always helpful and treated me with respect.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support was given by personal mentor and direct leader. However, the one thing the scheme lacked was clear feedback about how you are performing.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
You will always be busy, especially in store. There is never a point where you have nothing to do.
A lot of jobs say they are busy but Aldi is the most fast-paced business I have ever seen.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Responsibility to run a multi-million-pound store on a daily basis.
I was also given a lot of responsibility during project work, including running a multi-store trial of a new till management system.
You will not get more responsibility any where else
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Absiolutely will transfer, some key skills include:
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Good but the culture can be tough at times as there are so many unwritten rules that you must learn
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Well organised, structured grading period.
During head office time there was not much structure and we were given autonomy to manage our own time
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
company invested a lot of training but you need to be the one to drive it.
You need to ask questions and demand the training and not just expect it
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
More at head office but can be lonely during store time when you are away from other IP students
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Worked in various locations
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
same as above
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Minimal opportunities, area managers were very busy. Was difficult for placement students to arrange activities outside work