Investment Consulting Summer Intern at Aon

Actuarial Banking - Investment

8.7/10

9.4

Investment Consulting Summer Intern

It was a great oppportunity to learn more about the job, whilst working in a small team of nice colleagues that provided mw with alll the support I needed. It was a great opportunity and I would definitely recommend the internship to anyone interested in investment and pensions. I really enoyed my internship!

I felt very valued by my colleagues, everyone treated me with respect and was always friendly and professional. My time was valued as well, and my manager focussed on making sure that I had enough time for personal development and was not just doing everyone else's legwork. I was given interesting work and my colleagues supported me throughout

I was given a lot of support during all of my internship, as I had only limited previous knowledge of the field and the work tht it entails. My manager was always available if I had any questions and so were all other colleagues in my team. Everyone was very approachable and happy to help and give advice.

Very busy

I was given a lot of responsibility during my placement and started working on client reports as soon as I joined my local team. While all my work was checked, I was communicating with business partners and external orgnaisations freely and definitely felt that I had some responsibility throughout my internship.

The skills I received int he internship will definitely help me in my career as well as at university. I gained more presentation skills which will be useful for either, but I thing the invaluable business skills that I could develop will help me throughout my future career. I also gained a lot of understanding in how to communicate with clients, a skill that I think is vital across many industries

While everyone was working hard the atmosphere was friendly and warm. Team lunches were organised when I joined my local team and before I left, and it was very common to brring in sweets or cake to the office if there was an occasion. Everyone was friendly and very helpful.

Very well organised placement, from the first day to the end. We were given laptops and a bag, received all necessary onboarding information on launch and felt like everything was planned very well from the start on. If we did need any assistance, we always knew who to contact and problems were resolved swiftly

The company invested in my personal development in different ways. Firstly, there was a Corporate Social Responsibility Project that we all had to complete. We had to orgnaise our own teams and workloads, which helped us develop our team and communications skills, as well as presentations skills during the project presentation at the end. Otherwise, there were weekly sessions to enable us to learn more about the business, and lots of chances to develop my skills in the local office.

The Graduate Programme at Aon is a very appealing one mainly because of the opportunity to gain professional qualifications and the study time allotted to it. (It is very generous) All graduates I have spoken to seemed to be very happy to be on the programme and were working hard to prepare for the exams they had to take, whils also taking over responsibility in the bsuiness.

There was a very good socila scene among the interns in the London office, and whenever I was there I would be part of the group. While that was a real bonus, it should be mentioned that I was the only intern in my local office and hence there was less of an intern specific social scene here. However, I still felt well integrated with other graduate colleagues.

The cost for lunches and travel seems to have been more or less average to the south of England in the Farnborough area, and as such quite possibly above the national average. One bonus of not being in the London office is of course that it is much cheaper to get lunches or drinks out here, although for me it meant spending more money on commuting to work every day.

In farnborough itself there is no real nightlife other than a few pubs. I am sure that there is some nightlife in larger towns/cities around, like Guildford or Reading, however as I was commuting from London I did not really tend to go out in the office area too much.

There were many opportunities to do so, examples include an ice cram van that came to the office or activities organised by colleagues. Being close to the London office and knowing a few of the interns there from the induction, it was always possible to join the countless activities that they were doing after work.