Investment analyst intern within the fiduciary management team. Involved in quarterly reporting for clients and data analysis.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed both the atmosphere within the team and also the work that I was given to complete. Whilst I had to work hard to get my jobs done, there was always time to have fun with other team members and interns.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was given work that was being used by my colleagues in client meetings, so I felt like I was adding real value to the business.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had fortnightly progress meetings with my manager and the whole team was always on hand to help with any questions I had. Being paired with a 'buddy' who came through the graduate scheme was especially helpful in the first few weeks before I was confident enough to speak to the whole team.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the very start of the internship i was quite quiet with work until people began to give me more responsibility, which was to be expected and eased me in nicely. From the second week onward's I always had a good amount of work to do but did not feel like I was being over worked.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility and free reign when completing my tasks.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have picked up invaluable skills in presenting, excel, project management and more which I will be able to incorporate in to my university studies and anywhere that I work for the rest of my life.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was a relaxed atmosphere and everyone was happy to have a chat and a laugh. Though everybody was also very focused on getting their work completed but this did not stop it from being a fun and friendly atmosphere.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was very well organised from start (with the induction days) to the very last week. If you ever had any questions someone was always on hand to answer them and various activities were organised for us such as the lunch and learn sessions and the presentation day. The CSR project that ran throughout was also very well set up.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I think they invested highly in me as they put on the lunch and learn sessions and gave me a senior team member as a manager so that I always had someone to teach me things and help with work if I needed it. One potential area for improvement could be some classes on the likes of excel.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I really hope to get a job offer from Aon. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and got on well with the team so it is a very appealing place for me to work. The grad scheme seems like it is very well set up and gives you a great platform to start your career from.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, everybody was always up for organizing social events among ourselves or going along to ones organised by Aon. However there weren't any intern specific events organised apart from on the penultimate week, it may have been good to have a few more organised towards the beginning.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It is central London so very expensive as expected. I commuted from home every day which took roughly 2 hours door to door as a result of this expense.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in London is very busy and fun, however it is very expensive so difficult to go our there very often. The times I did go out cost me a lot of money so it put me off going out there too frequently.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I think I could have joined in with the football team but nothing was really mentioned about it directly to me. Had it been offered I probably would have joined in but I wasn't made very aware of whether interns could join in or not.