Checking quality of product produced, making sure the production line is running smoothly with defect kept to a minimum, updating documentation, data analysis, designing, project leading and Coding.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Extremely good, learnt many new skills which have widened my engineering knowledge
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very Valued, i was trusted with very important work on multiple occasions, carried out presentations to plant executives and also played football with colleagues from the office.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Was always given great support, making sure i was always going the right way but also leaving me to be very independent on project work that i needed to carry out.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
99% off days would be completely flat out going from job to job, the nature of the job is to be pro active rather then reactive, so this involves always being a step ahead of what is happening at every moment, this leads to the continuous improvement of the work produced rather then constantly fighting fires.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Was given multiple projects through out my placement year and also trusted with sensitive data, i felt like i could be highly trusted and depended upon.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Before beginning my placement the only engineering knowledge that i had gained was through self research and university work. From getting hands on and getting stuck in the deep end and actually carrying out engineering jobs each and everyday has given me hundreds of news skills that i can use in my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
In my office there were high tensions at times due to demand going up and lots of issues occurring, this lead to you always being on your feet though and meaning your always being tested. I thoroughly enjoyed the time in my department where every single day was different top the last. Every colleague where very friendly and always willing to help out
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
At times due to the work load being massive and being short staffed at time, it meant sometimes i had to find work and go through each day without supervision or help but this has helped me become more independent and know that i can be relied upon to complete any task put in front of me. But most of the duration of the placement there was always a plan with goals at the end.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I managed to learn lots of news skills and knowledge during my placement through working on multiple projects. I was given all the possible opportunities to get exposed to many different software, training and skills.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing! My future dream is to be able to travel with work and with Cummins this is highly accessible, i also want to work within a friendly automotive based company of which i believe Cummins is, ive been very well looked after during my placement and dont see hwy i wouldnt want to come back
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
All the placement students had a big group chat of which we always catched up on and planned social events and nights out. Also across the departments many sport socials are set up of which you are more then welcome to join in on.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Luckily i was from the local area so i could still live at home but i know the living area around the plant is up to modern standards and at a competitive price. Within the local area there are many towns and cities of which have lots of activities to do.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Local bars and clubs are all around the area with close towns such as; rugby and northampton then cities such as; coventry and birmingham.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Every placement student was invited to multiple social events and sport evenings.