1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Very enjoyable time. Friendly office environment and immediately fit in which made a huge difference - felt very welcomed. Work was challenging but rewarding as well as being varied which played a big part in helping me to enjoy the experience. Good facilities for getting to know other interns which again upped the enjoyment levels.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Did not take very long to feel like part of the team and towards the end of the internship I was made to genuinely feel as if I was adding value to the office and the wider business. Colleagues were supportive and easy to get on with on every level possible.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Regular catch up with my line manager which was backed up by the capacity to contact her at any time. Felt very comfortable going to both my manager and colleagues with any issues, whether they were big or small and whether they were practical or work related. Feedback received was thorough and much appreciated.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
For the majority of time I had work to be getting on with, even if this was just a menial task. However I appreciated anything that was given to me and I think people made an effort to make sure I had something to do. Workload was lighter towards the end of the internship but I think this was due to a quiet period for the business.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Did not have much direct contact with clients but this is wholly what I expected. Was pleasantly surprised by the amount of responsibility I was given on day to day tasks and it made me feel valued that I was trusted with important pieces of work – felt like a permanent member of the team and not just an intern.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Improved my time management and learnt how to prioritise pieces of work which will greatly help with my final year of study. Looking further ahead I now feel comfortable in a corporate environment and my time at Aon allowed me to develop professional skills to a great extent, helping me in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Felt very comfortable very quickly in the office – some colleagues described the atmosphere as a family and I can see where this comes from. There was a great balance between everyone being personable but still with a great work ethic, wanting everyone to succeed. It was difficult to figure out the hierarchy in the office but I mean this in the most positive way.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Initial training was well thought out – spending three days in London with interns from around the business was the perfect start, making us feel more comfortable and giving us a chance to network. There was maybe too much emphasis on the corporate and social responsibility project but this still provided valuable experience.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Already received a very attractive job offer and feedback was very positive (in both directions). The business seems keen to nurture talent and invest in people’s futures, and it is definitely somewhere where one would want to build and continue a career. Future employment prospects could not be any better really!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Only three interns in my office so the only social scene was events we organised ourselves (nothing wrong with this). A suitable amount of social events were organised for the entire cohort considering the distances between interns. There were enough social events in the office itself to get to know colleagues.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I know that nightlife in Bristol is great from my experience during university. Did not experience a lot of it during my internship but was not really expecting to. There would certainly be an opportunity to have a great night out though, whether this was a few quiet drinks or something like a club night.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?