On rotation through 3 different engineering departments at Cummins Turbo Technologies in Huddersfield.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I very much enjoyed my placement at Cummins Turbo Technologies. I got the chance to work with lots of very friendly and intelligent people. There was often opportunities to take part in more interesting activities such as practical work, community involvement and work social events.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Throughout my time at Cummins I was able to feel fully valued by my work colleagues.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
At any point where I wanted support or guidance from my supervisors I could just ask. Managers were usually very helpful and if they didn't know how to help they would be able to point you in the right direction.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I personally would always have work to get on with so I would usually find myself quite busy. Although at times where there were less deadlines I was able to feel more relaxed when getting on with my work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I am able to say I was given a good amount of responsibility in each department I worked in, although how much exactly I feel was dependent on the work available at the time.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The professional skills learned on my placement will be a major help when organising myself for my studies and applying to future positions of work.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office is usually quite quiet although can encourage a some polite and good-natured conversation.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised. I could not set any improvements for this.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company I feel invested in me greatly. I was able to experience a variety of different engineering departments and attend many technical training sessions.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There is a sponsorship scheme which is attractive to many graduates as well as a generous starting salary.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
In comparison to most other placement schemes, Cummins has a very high student intake and therefore the prospects for a social scene are very good.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living was slightly below average compared to the large student cities.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was reasonably limited to 4/5 bar clubs but could still host a good night out. Leeds and Manchester also not a long train journey away.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?