Working in the AIT Support Sales area to support the internal operations of the Oracle support contracts.
Work with business to fix and support them with issues along with custom code/fixes on top of the standard Oracle products.
This involves PL/SQL, Java, Problem solving, project management, working with a global team.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Nice Place to work, very friendly people to work with. Didn't find all of the work captivating but still a variety of work.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very Friendly people and having people give you jobs when they know they can rely on you to do them is great.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
When I need help I asked. If needed to have a meeting or chat about something just ask my manager and that's fine. Non direct management were helpful when asking questions.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some times can be very busy other days not. I can ask for as much as I want unless its a very quiet period.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given enough responsibility to do my work from day to day, Only when I needed to do something specific or progress something to a production server is when I needed to check with management.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Much better project tracking, adaptability to changing tasks. Better understanding of business and design process. Greater appreciation for planning.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Some quiet days but have some good laughs about silly things, very fun lunch times having a laugh with the other IP's whilst playing pool.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My manager was well experienced in handling IP's along with the other people in the teams, our HR rep was very good in getting us organised with the need to know. More info on our job roles prior to the placement or in the job advertisement would of been better.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Not as much as I would of liked. Took part in many internal training done by the Internal teams. But would of liked to go on more official courses run by Oracle Education centre.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
As Oracle are generally not having large employment drives the likeliness of getting a job low. but would have a greater chance when applying, over none oracle applicants.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Probably could go out a bit more, apart from the other IP's allot of the staff were older so didn't really have the time to go out with the IP's
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Rent and accommodation is quite expensive. but could of been more luckily as we are still students we didn't pay as much as if we weren't.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Pretty good as its quite studenty near by.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Lots of social clubs out side of oracle, they also had lots of trips, holidays etc to some nice places for reduced prices.