Agile Project IT Intern at The Walt Disney Company

Business Analytics Computer Science Information Technology Media Recruitment

8.1/10

8.6

You will be working as part of a team allowing you to fully integrate into everyday tasks of the department and giving you the opportunity to work on the day to day business needs of current projects. In this role you can make a real contribution to the work of the team.

Core Responsibilities:
• Learn/understand the delivery process and its various stages are applied to deliver successfully
• Learn/understand the roles/responsibilities of each team member and how they ensure success
• Using the support and guidance of the other team members you will apply this knowledge practically by working in a variety of roles using your learned skills and knowledge of the technical tools for some or all of the following roles
o Support
o Testing
o Project Delivery Management
o Development
o Business Analysis
o Dev Ops
• Working as part of the team adhering to its processes and standards
• Assist in documentation and other administrative processes
• Proactively suggest change to process and standards to improve the efficiency of the team
• Strive to learn new technologies and techniques
• Maintaining the systems once they are up and running

My work is rewarding and challenging most of the time and adds real business value to my department and team. I have been steered towards what my interests are and what the business needs which has allowed me to see where my areas of interests lie and not. My work has also allowed me to work across many areas and get a great insight into loads of different business areas.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 20 roles at The Walt Disney Company

I feel valued by my colleagues as they give me big responsibility to own my work and trust me enough to go away and talk to the right people while keeping me team informed to get work done. My team have been confident enough to train me in areas where now that has become my work, giving them more free time to work on more pertinent issues.

I was given plenty of support and training at the start whereby managers and other workers would free up there time to get me onboard. I was allowed to ask plenty of questions for which they were happy to help. To this day they are still very supportive and guide me, while i do the same to new starters on the team too.

No day is set in stone for me working in an Agile environment, my daily tasks can really change as soon as i come in and at any point in the day. My average day i am a nice busy and i have my work to get on with for which i have to remain focused as people will feed me more information and i have to explain when people ask me for updates too.

I have been lucky to be given a deal of responsibility, for example owning my own tickets and getting them to done, through problem solving and communicating with the right people across the business. I am trusted across our systems which has allowed my to test critical functionality and get important business clients on board.

This placement will very much help me after uni as just being in the office environment is more important than i thought. It has allowed me to be more confident in my work, communication, problem solving and many more soft skills have vastly improved. It will also help towards my business units in final year such as business process models for which i have been made very aware of on placement.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 20 roles at The Walt Disney Company

My office is very laid back and everyone is friendly. Its not stressful but there is work to be done. Everyone is always happy to talk and help and its overall a very warm and nice atmosphere to be in. Everyone seems happy and the culture is very positive and helps moral.

Very organised as i was slowly trained on the systems and processes of my team and supporting teams to mine. My internship covers a variety of areas and throughout the placement i have been made aware to those. The way i was taught helped me pick up knowledge very quickly.

There was no really money involved but time taken to train me and develop me to be a better and more beneficial employee to the company. The company hosts volunteering and welcome days for the interns to learn more and be more committed to the company and what it does.

The company does not have a grad scheme however a fair few previous interns have returned to Disney to work for them. They recently set up a linkedin where job offers will be and managers also look to old interns first rather than scouting out properly to people who havent worked there.

There is lots of interns at Disney however the social scene has been very good with lots of interns drinks, volunteering, the winter ball which i organised, birthday parties for which lots of interns were invited too and other parties that were organised too. Also living with other interns has definitely improved the social scene.

Its a very expensive area and costs around £1000 for a nice place however i only pay 800 and i dont have far to travel into work. As its west London it can be very expensive and at the start with a lot of leaving drinks and interns drinks it was really expensive.

The nightlife isnt that great but as its close to central London and close to the underground its not to far to get to a lot of clubs. There is the pubs which provide a good atmosphere after work until later that night but not for a nightout. There is plenty of clubs all over London for me to still explore.

I have been fortunate to get involved in a lot of opportunities such as volunteering at a music school, schools out events, charity events, being able to go to media screening where a lot of fun stuff would be available, film fan events and the time to organise an intern ball.