Industrial Placement - Engineering at Cummins

Huddersfield Yorkshire and Humberside
Engineering Engineering

Cummins is a Top Employer

7.9/10

Cummins Turbo Technologies use a unique rotation system throughout the year. Allowing students to experience 3 different departments. I personal worked in the Aerodynamics, Applied Mechanics (HCF) and the Service Engineering departments.

Initially it had its difficulties but I settled in well and started to enjoying the placement much more soon after.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 5 roles at Cummins

I was involved in meaningful work that relieved pressure from my colleagues so I think my colleagues valued my work.

In each of my three departments I had a dedicated mentor that answered or guided me in anything I needed help with.

The workload varied throughout but I always had something to do. If the workload got too much it could be communicated to my team and the issue would be resolved.

An adequate amount for my level of experience and performance throughout my placement. As I built up trust more responsibility was given to me.

My time management skills and communication skills have developed in the most significant manner and will assist me greatly in the future.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 5 roles at Cummins

The atmosphere changed throughout my placement. In times of high intensity the atmosphere changed accordingly, however I have always felt comfortable.

Some departments were better than others at this and there is room for improvement but overall it was well organized.

The company supplied me with any resources I needed to perform my job and trained me in any manner necessary. There is also a vast library of training resources and courses that I am free to book onto.

They are very appealing however I would always recommend to research industries as much as possible to make the most informed decision possible.

Yes, there was s substantial group of placement students that were not only engineers. We attended company events as well as organized our own events also.

The living costs are affordable especially with a relatively high salary for a placement student in this area of the country.

Huddersfield is a 20 minute train journey to Leeds which is the nearest major city that has very good nightlife. Manchester is also relatively close. Huddersfield itself also has many bars and places for a nigh out.

There were plenty of opportunities to get involved in things every week, if not every day of the week.