1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
9/10. Learnt lots, excellent company with family feel. Excellent opportunities to work in office and on site. Always felt motivated and valued, learning lots and seeing the projects I worked on develop from designs to functioning water treatment works. Good social side with plenty of social events in evenings, watching football in pub with colleagues or bowling.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
10/10. I felt fully valued and appreciated by my project team. I worked alongside some excellent engineers and QSs and felt like they valued my knowledge and opinion. I was fully integrated into the team, attending all meetings and had responsibility for the work I was doing. Overall I felt like a valued member of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
9/10 regular review and progress meetings with managers. Often sat 1 on 1 with manager. Had a placement review meetings and had a structured ticklist of things to achieve throughout. I felt I could speak to my manager comfortably about any issues I had.
My manager acted as an excellent mentor giving me advice and skills I will take forward into my career.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
7/10. Given a list and action tracker of tasks to do with expected deadlines. All Work I was given was useful and I clearly understood the purpose of what I was doing. I visited site weekly reporting back the commercial issues between site and office. Had weekly tasks to do as well.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
7/10. I was responsible for 4/5 subcontractors, ensuring they were paid, on time and budget. All under the support of my manager. I also visit site weekly to act as a commercial go between for site and office. Seeing the progress and addressing any commercial issues the site manager has.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Excellent, I can see what I am doing really assisting studies. I worked alongside some very talented Cost Managers, learning skills and ways of running a project I will take with me for life. I gained not only experience of QSing but also soft skills such as organisation and note taking.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office I worked in not only had JN Bentley in but, Mott Macdonald, Skanska, Balfour Beaty, Barhale and Stantec. So a lot of companies all together. It was a friendly office and right from the start I felt at home.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Good, I clearly understood my start date, holiday dates, and who my line manager was. I was often contacted before the start date by recruitment team asking if I had any queries or needed help with anything.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Excellent, I gained many qualifications such as CSCS Card, EUSR Water Hygeine Card, Anglian Water Passport to Work Card.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Good, I would love to return here to work with such a family orientated, friendly and professional company. Who are nationwide and growing.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were not many other placement students In my office but my project team often went on nights out or played football.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Good, Peterborough is fairly cheap. I lived in student accommodation with students from Anglia Ruskin. As well as my friend who also is doing a placement with JN Bentley, in the other JNB office. Socialising is not too expensive fairly standard price for gym. pubs etc
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
4/10 Peterborough is a nice city, but not an amazing night out. It has good pubs, good bars, but not many night clubs. But the company on nights out made them good fun. Some bars and pubs are fairly cheap too, which is always a bonus. Lots of nice places for food.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, played football, went rock climbing and bowling!