Liaising with client, design and project team to allow development and completion of construction projects on Rolls-Royce framework.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I fully enjoyed my placement at JN Bentley. Am not exaggerating when I say the company has a family feel to it. I don't even know how they do it. I enjoyed every morning coming to work. JN Bentley is vastly embedded into many civil engineering frameworks as well as other disciplines, electrical, mechanical and commercial, this allows you learn so many skills. Everybody spares their time to educate you. Being at JN Bentley has immersed me into a whole new form of learning that I have never had before. JN Bentley is so blessed with a plethora of academic resources, that will allow you complete your studies efficiently i.e. your dissertation.The company also has amazing benefits and allows a lot of time and resource to co-curricular activities, trust me, you won't find this anywhere else.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel super valued at work. All my colleagues at work take time to assess your strengths and look to see you develop wholesomely. My colleagues always challenged me and guided me through my challenges.
The company hopes to see your continuous development. Everybody at work willingly shares their experiences to teach you.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There wasn't any shortage of guidance ever. My supervisor always looked out for me and didn't sound disparaging when I made any mistake. I realised all supervisors it all their all to ensure I enjoyed my placement. By sharing their experience with me. They also provided me with academic and social support.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days were busier than others but generally, the work load was manageable. My supervisor ensured that I wasn't to busy to learn new stuff. He ensured that there was a lesson to be learnt on every task I did. My supervisor as well as the business encouraged me to take logs which is an essential skill in CPD. And this bettered my planning as well as my writing and presentation skills.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was allowed to learn how to do tasks, by shadowing individuals doing the same roles as me, during the second half of my placement I was given a lot of responsibility and this gave a sense of independence and achievement. I was pleased by the amount of responsibility I took on.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
To a large extent, Al lot of technical and soft skills, time management, office demeanour, effective communication, social interactions, writing skills, assertiveness, I can not stress enough how this has helped me, at the start I was socially anxious and less confident, but I am a different person now, I have grown so much this past year.
I have also gained a lot of technical civil engineering knowledge, the stuff in the second year that gave me a hard time, I now understand quite easily.
I do not think I would have learnt all this anywhere, if I did not take the placement at JN Bentley.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Full of banter most of the time, super friendly. Best learning environment ever. There was never a dull moment.
Even when things seemed tense, the managers would focus on the lessons learnt and ensured that people were happy.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Well organised. There was a development plan put in place. And reviews to see that goals and learning objectives were met. There were no abstract principals to be learnt. Everything was practical and purposeful.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
A lot. There were numerous resources at my disposal, that the company incurred the cost for. Training was provided where necessary.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very promising. JN Bentley continuously hires more than half of all placement applicants after they are done with their university. It also provides a financial leaving package and even sponsors students on their last year.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We had a forum for placement students and events were organised.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was working in Derby. The cost of living is modest, the social life is exceptional, as Nottingham is like 30 minutes away, the city centre has an amazing mall, bowling, cinemas, so many stores and the student discounts are everywhere.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Awesome. The streets were safe, You'd stay out as late as you'd like. Discount on drinks. The parties were wild.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes , they were many opportunities. But since many people in the office lived away from the city. It was hard to organise a mutual time for everyone to attend.