Marketing and PR
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year at Oracle. I was pleasantly surprised as to how much I was valued and treated during my time there as I was respected, welcomed and appreciated. I've seen a real change in myself as I feel more mature and confident in myself than before I started. Oracle believe that it is very important for their employees to grow and was committed to give me the opportunity to grow in my role as well as in other jobs that I had interest in.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
As a very large corporate company it was quite daunting to start my placement and felt pressure to do my best. However, my manager and team made me feel extremely valued as they made me feel a part of the team from the beginning by making me feel comfortable and welcome when I settled in and were very patient with me as I got to grips with things. I was treated with respect throughout my placement year and was valued as a full-time employee as I was given relevant work and responsibility.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given support and guidance by many people at Oracle. Everyone was extremely willing to give their advice and help in anything that we asked for. As interns, management understood that we were here to learn as well as get experience therefore were always open to answering any of our questions, big or small and invited us to always raise any problems we had. Management had a very good relationship with their employees as well as with interns which gave us reassurance that they were approachable and cared about us.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
With a well communicated team and organised manager, they made sure that I always had something to do and was getting a lot of experience. My team ensured that I was never bored and allowed me to express if I felt the work load was too much or too little.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As I was treated like a regular employee, I was given a lot of responsibility as they believed in my capabilities and trusted me to produce my best work that contributed to the wider team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My placement year was not very relevant to my degree however I wanted to explore different options outside of my degree and I feel like my role did just that and reassured me that I am able to get work experience out of my field of study.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was a very good atmosphere in the office. Busy or quite, everyone was always very friendly and which made me feel comfortable around the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
With an Intern programme leader, my year was well organised as our programme leader provided extra-curricular work for us to get involved in outside of our daily roles and made sure we settling in well in our roles. My manager and wider team also organised our year at Oracle to be a great experience.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Management and other employees encouraged us to gain as much experience as possible for our personal development. I was able to ask what/where I wanted to develop in and management made sure they made this happen, no matter how big or small. A variety of training platforms were also open to us when we could decide what and when to train.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Oracle keep in touch with the past interns and let them know in future employment prospects that will appeal to us and also encourage us to keep in contact with the organisation.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The intern programme created a social group for all of us interns as they created projects for us to do as a intern group outside of our daily roles and away from our teams. My team was very sociable as well as other employees around the office and invited us to social events.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Reasonable, cheaper than London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There is a decent amount of clubs close by as well as lots of bars and restaurants.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are a lot of things to get involved in in and around Reading.