1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The work was interesting, the people in the company are really friendly.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
We had 2 weeks at the start of the internship to learn various programming languages etc. Then we were constantly guided throughout the internship via code reviews, and daily stand ups.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Yes, there was plenty of work to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I think it varies as to which project there are lying about which are suitable for interns. Ours was an in-house program, so ultimately responsibility on the project falls above us - if a mistake is made, it should be caught in coder review.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Maths degree, so a programming internship will not be relevant at all towards my studies, however if I go into a programming job, the experience will be really useful.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Super casual at times, but work is always being done.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Its clear a lot of planning/ thought had gone into the internship before we arrived.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I think they are looking to hire people (why else would they be giving paid internships?). So yes, i'm sure they are investing in interns.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very, It would be a good company to work at
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Good turnout for the pub on Fridays. People play smash (for Wii U) during lunch/ after work.
There are all sorts of social events all the time at the company, board games nights etc.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Ghyston offered me a reduced internship pay and they provide my accom. It was super convenient.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Bristol is a pretty great city. I'm sure theres as much or as little nightlife as anyone wants.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?