Retail Planning and Market Insight Intern (WHV) at Warner Bros

Holborn Central London and City
Logistics and Operations Purchasing and Supply

7.7/10

Retail Planning -

- VMI for Asda - In my first two months, I was involved in sending stock to Asda. Using specific computer systems I had to decide what stock and what quantity would be sent in on a daily basis.

- Retail planner for Play.com, this involved managing their sales, stock, forecasting promotions and monitoring their overall performance.

- I also took responsibility for all pre-orders which involved pre-order forecasts on key titles such as Harry Potter 7a. This was then fed back to the company/management to give them an indication of how the title would perform once released.

- New release trackers for key releases. I was responsible for new release trackers for titles such as Hereafter, Legends of The Guardians and Hall Pass. This document compiles the titles first 8 weeks sales by retailer versus their targets. It also records shipments by retailer and re-forecasts once the first weeks sales have been received.

Market Insight

- Sales forecasts for new release titles such as Ben 10, Jonah Hex and You will meet a tall dark stranger. Once these titles have been released, these documents have to be populated with sales and ship once, aswell as calculating re-forecasts based on its day 1/week 1 performance.

Key Market Trackers - Trackers created to understand the performance of specific promotions that competitors or WHV may have taking place. This involves gathering all the title information and tracking weekly sales by value and volume to see if the promo had a sigificant uplift.

Sales Flash - This is a weekly email sent to the whole company. It details day 1 sales of key warner/competitor dvd releases ono their first week of release. Along this with is, commentary and forecasts are provided based on its performance versus a similar title.

The company is great, they really value their employees and treat them alot. The job itself can be quite hard, particularly at first as they gave me alot of responsibility. It's a very fast moving environment, with new releases at least every other week, there is always something new to think about. My colleagues were great though!

Great environment - very friendly and always willing to help and share workload if needed.

Always there if I needed to chat about workload or I felt under pressure.

It varies. Monday and Tuesday are always the busiest and a lot of adhoc things come up such as retailer presentations which may make you busier then you usually are towards the end of the week.

Soley responsible for pre-order forecasts. Also, retail planner for Play.com which felt quite big as they have never had an intern on their own account before.