Technology Intern at Standard Life Aberdeen

Edinburgh Scotland
Information Technology

6.8/10

6.5

Improving the Business Intelligence SharePoint site and creating a communication roadmap.

The internship has been fantastic! Living with the other interns and a friendly work enviroment have mean that the 10 weeks have been thoroughly enjoyable, and have shown Standard Life to genuinely care about their employees.

All of my colleagues have been really helpful, I'm yet to meet anyone, whether it be in my department or not, who wouldn't help me.

The buddy system is excellent. Unfortunately my project was remodelled and so a lot of my work was lost and it was a busy time of the year so my manager didn't have a lot of time to come up with a new project for me. My buddy then took it upon himself to find pieces of work for me to do and for that I'm extemely grateful.

My original project was to update a weekly news bulletin everyweek so on the day before and the day of the release I was busy, the other days were spent contacting people so they were less strenuous. However since the project was remodelled I have had a lot more down time, which I am managing to fill but it'd be nice to be doing another project not just bits and pieces.

I was allowed to edit certain pages on sharepoint but not a huge amount so I still had to ask people with higher levels of permissions then me to do some tasks.

I believe my level of persistence has increased dramatically, as I have had to contact some people numerous times inorder obtain certain documents. This will really benefit me later in life as it has shown me that I must be more forceful if I want things to be done.

Generally there is a very relaxed feel and everybody was really firendly, making it a great working environment.

I do feel that the project I was given wasn't increadibly well thought through and that there wasn't a great amount of structure to my internship. However the learning and development sessions have been very beneficial and will influence my life in the future.

The company has been fantastic with regard to personal development. Having weekly development meetings and performing strengths finders has meant that I really feel as though I have grown in my 10 weeks.

They are very appealling, I'm yet to meet anyone that has a bad word to say about SLI and it really seems as though this company cares for each and every one of its employees.

Living with the other interns has meant that I've made some fantastic friends, the placement has been way over expectations in this respect.

Coming to Edinburgh I was expecting everything to be very expensive, as many people have described it as London prices. I was however very pleased to find this was not so, everything was ersonably priced whereever you go.

I didn't go out with anybody in the department out side of work, I would've had the option been there.

Yes there were many different opportunities to socialise and play sports with the other interns.