Improving the Business Intelligence SharePoint site and creating a communication roadmap.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The internship has been fantastic! Living with the other interns and a friendly work enviroment have mean that the 10 weeks have been thoroughly enjoyable, and have shown Standard Life to genuinely care about their employees.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All of my colleagues have been really helpful, I'm yet to meet anyone, whether it be in my department or not, who wouldn't help me.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The buddy system is excellent. Unfortunately my project was remodelled and so a lot of my work was lost and it was a busy time of the year so my manager didn't have a lot of time to come up with a new project for me. My buddy then took it upon himself to find pieces of work for me to do and for that I'm extemely grateful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My original project was to update a weekly news bulletin everyweek so on the day before and the day of the release I was busy, the other days were spent contacting people so they were less strenuous. However since the project was remodelled I have had a lot more down time, which I am managing to fill but it'd be nice to be doing another project not just bits and pieces.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was allowed to edit certain pages on sharepoint but not a huge amount so I still had to ask people with higher levels of permissions then me to do some tasks.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I believe my level of persistence has increased dramatically, as I have had to contact some people numerous times inorder obtain certain documents. This will really benefit me later in life as it has shown me that I must be more forceful if I want things to be done.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Generally there is a very relaxed feel and everybody was really firendly, making it a great working environment.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I do feel that the project I was given wasn't increadibly well thought through and that there wasn't a great amount of structure to my internship. However the learning and development sessions have been very beneficial and will influence my life in the future.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company has been fantastic with regard to personal development. Having weekly development meetings and performing strengths finders has meant that I really feel as though I have grown in my 10 weeks.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
They are very appealling, I'm yet to meet anyone that has a bad word to say about SLI and it really seems as though this company cares for each and every one of its employees.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Living with the other interns has meant that I've made some fantastic friends, the placement has been way over expectations in this respect.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Coming to Edinburgh I was expecting everything to be very expensive, as many people have described it as London prices. I was however very pleased to find this was not so, everything was ersonably priced whereever you go.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I didn't go out with anybody in the department out side of work, I would've had the option been there.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes there were many different opportunities to socialise and play sports with the other interns.