1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Standard Life really cares about the interns and wants them to feel at ease and have a good their time there, that's why I really enjoyed working there. The atmosphere in the office is positive.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I had a good relationship with my collegues, I could ask them about things I wanted to know or for help. They made me feel integrated and valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisor was very good in showing me all the important things of the company I should know about and I felt free to ask him for information or things related to his job I was curious about.
He provided me with a good understanding of the company and gave me clear tasks.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was not very busy, I had time to go and shadow different areas, and I had plenty of time to finish my tasks without being in a hurry or pressure.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given more responsibility than I could imagine, I was very glad for it. It meant they trusted me, and this made me feel wanting to show the best of my potentiality.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I was asked to complete different tasks so I had to use a range of skills that I think to be useful for my future activities in studying and working.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was good. I enjoyed spending my ten weeks there, the atmosphere was quite informal, but everybody was focused and willing to help as soon as I needed it.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was overall well organized. Every week all the interns had meetings to give their opinion about the internship and to do different activities, for example I had participated to a Charity Challenge.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I feel the company invested in me because they dedicated a lot of time to make sure I worked and my best and developed different skills and a wide knowledge of the company and the market where it operates.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
At the end of the internship I could be offered a graduate placement for 2 years.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, it was good, because we had the chance to share our accommodation with another intern, and we lived all in the same apartments, therefore it was easy to meet.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Not extremely cheap, but not too high as well.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
It was good, there are some really nice places to go to.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The period was the one of the Festivals in Edinburgh, there was always something going on.