Planned all the trucks to bring the Yoghurt from Europe to England. I managed 9 European truck companies and the budget for all of this.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my work placement. I had a lot of responsibility and so was very busy but Danone is a great place to work. There are a lot of like minded people and there is a great atmosphere in the office.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very valued. The responsibility that I was given was far beyond what I expected. I maanged all the transport of all yoghurt from Europe to England. I was the only person that dealt with this and had my own budget that I decided how to spend etc. My job was a real job rather than photocopying.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The office is open plan adn a very friendly enviroment. I could easily ask questions across the desk to other people in the team without being intimidate or worried about a stupid question. I had weekly 1 on 1 meetings with my manager who was there to help with anything I needed and to guide me through the year.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Very. There are some days busier than others but daily issues that arise keep you very busy. Month is very busy with all of the finance and tehn peak times such as Christmas were very very busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A huge amount. I managed 9 haulier companies from around Europe. I used them to pick up loads from our 8 factories. I monitored their performance on a daily basis and held monthly meetings to discuss this with them. I had a budget that i solely decided who I spent it on etc and then had to present where I landed each month to the MD. I manage this budget from start to finish.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have learnt a huge deal that will be invaluable in later life. Sadly I do Biochemsitry and so it does not have much use to me back at uni. My Excel skills have massively improved though.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office is a great place. It's open plan which makes it a much less initmidating place. We have free massages during the week and daily games of table football as a little break.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised. I came into a pretty basic role and once I had got to grips with things, I was given more and more. It was all about earning the responsibility. So the better you performed, the more responsibility and important tasks you were given.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
You make your personal development plan and constantly review this. This is to make you the best you can be. A lot of things are on the job experience that once you are aware of you can work on etc. I also attended some training session including an Excel one that I asked for.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Danone is a great company that I have really enjoyed working at. I would love to come back onto the grad scheme after university. I just have to wait and find out the result.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes we often had Placement nights out or drinks. Everyone goes for drinks every Friday evening as well. There were also sports clubs such as football and touch rugby on Wednesday nights which are fun to get involved in.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Quite high as I moved to Parsons Green, which was a lot of fun. My rent was £700 a month and socialising is like anywhere in London. The pay I received was more than enough to live a comforatble life in London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
It is ok where we worked in Ealing. There are a lot of nice pubs as well. Normally we would go more central if we planned on going out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes there are many sports clubs such as touch rugby and football. Both of these are mixed and a lot of fun.