Helping the finance team prepare monthly accounts and checking the spend of the teams in the business.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Learnt a lot about different Finance operations and supporting a fast moving category within the business. Made a lot of new friends and enjoyed my placement.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Yes, I felt that I was part of the team working to the same objectives and goals. I didn't feel like a placement not doing as much work as the others.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager was great and took time to explain the job to me from the start. There were a lot of Danone specific acronyms and others from Finance that I was aware of from my degree but had not put into work.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Super busy, there was always so much to do especially at month end and key budgeting times as well as dealing with questions from the business.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was the key point of contact on a number of topics by the end of my placement and I had a project that I presented back to my line manager's manager before I went back to Uni. A lot of what I did was to support my line manager and preparing reports and checking accuracy from the business so working as part of a wider team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It was good to be able to apply a lot of the things that I had heard about and worked on at uni in the work setting. Somethings were quite different and it was good to go back to uni with some practical examples
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Busy, everyone worked really hard. Some people worked long hours and a lot or people worked from home or away from the office on a Friday.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There was a placement and grad hr team who set up training and our contracts when we first started but really we were like the other people in our team.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There was quite a lot of excel training from my team and I went on a course with the other placements and grads. My team also helped me with understanding the business and presenting.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There isn't a grad programme for Finance and I would like Finance but you can apply to the team and I have kept in touch with my line manager.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were a lot of events that we arranged ourselves which were fun and we have kept in touch. A lot of the placements lived together as well near the office.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Fine, it is London which is different from being away at uni but it was ok.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Better towards London. Chiswick is a little bit out of London and a bit quiet.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
In the summer we did a step challenge and we went on walks as a team. We also played football in a 5 aside tournament near the office.