Economics Intern at Standard Life Aberdeen

Edinburgh Scotland
Economics

7.5/10

Involved in the macroeconomic research branch of strategy. Worked on weekly internal and external publications as well as macroeconomic research to provide a basis for the company's flagship external publication.

Among other tasks for the team, I was set a project which was right up my street. I was being paid to do what I love doing!

I got on very well with my team, hardly ever remembering that I was simply an intern - I felt part of the team.

I was given pretty clear guidance on my work, and colleagues were very approachable.

I was very busy, but it came as little surprise. I made myself more busy by doing more work than was necessary, so I am partly to blame for this. Overall the balance was good - it was by no means a stressful experience.

I was clearly trusted by the team and my manager. My work included internal and external publications as well as research behind a major piece of work.

Firstly, my internship was an application and extension of what I learned at university, and secondly, it confirmed that I do indeed want to become an economist.

It was by no means dull, but "Fun never stopped" implies that non-work fun got in the way of hard work, and it didn't. It was a working environment - people weren't fooling about or distracting me by chatting too much.

It was well organised overall - the only problems were surrounding pay and SLI's relationship with Standard Life Group, which seemed to be a tenuous one. It was hardly a seamless connection between the internship of the two sister companies.

Much effort was made to give me the opportunities to expand my awareness of the industry and the work the company does.

Although the team is at capacity now, if I were to obtain a masters degree in economics and a space opened up, I think I would be in a very good position to get a place.

Fellow interns organised regular social events, and my team often went out together for lunch once a week.

The cost of living is pretty reasonable in Edinburgh, and that is beside the fact that accommodation was provided.

It was probably good for people who like that sort of thing, but I did not wish to experience the "nightlife".

I was satisfied with what I experienced - there weren't lots of opportunities, but then again that is not what I went to do an internship for. I went for some solid work experience.