This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant.
- 1. To what extent did you enjoy the insight?
- 2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
- 3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
- 4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
- 5. How well structured was the insight?
- 6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
- 7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
- 8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
- 9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
- 10. How valuable was the content in helping you to decide on your future career path?
- 11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
- 12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
- 13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
- 14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
- 15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
This vacation scheme provided me with a fantastic insight into life as a commercial lawyer at an international law firm. The work was interesting, and I felt that I was given the chance to contribute to real cases.
Everyone at the firm made clear that the purpose of the vacation scheme was as much for me to learn more about the firm, as for them to decide to whom to offer a training contract. This meant that every effort was made to ensure that I felt valued by the form - I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
I felt that help was always available if needed, from trainees and partners alike. When required to produce a piece of work, the instructions were clear and useful, while not giving away the answers. This ensured that I had the opportunity to first tackle a problem on my own.
The nature of the scheme required efficiency, good organisation and determination - skills which are vital for success in later life. The scheme also provided me with an excellent insight into commercial law.
The scheme was well structured, with various activities organized throughout the three weeks to ensure that we were constantly kept busy. All the information we needed was provided towards the start of the scheme, enabling us to begin our work as soon as possible.
The culture of the firm was relaxed yet professional, and provided a welcoming environment for everyone on the vacation scheme. Everyone at the firm was extremely friendly and helpful, and there was always someone to turn to for help if needed.
The firm invested a lot of time and money into my training over the three weeks I was there, as well as paying me £275 per week.
As part of the vacation scheme I was given some projects to complete, which were designed to provide an invaluable insight into the type of work I may be required to complete as a commercial lawyer. I also was able to help with some real cases, which was both engaging and challenging. Being able to sit in an office for three weeks allowed me to experience life as a commercial lawyer on a day-to-day basis.
I got a really good idea of the firm's culture from the vacation scheme. The atmosphere was relaxed, friendly, and very professional.
I was paid £275 per week and my travel expenses were reimbursed.
There were many social events which provided opportunities for networking with various employees.
The social events were outstanding and exciting, ranging from drinks in the evening, to cultural activities in London. These events demonstrated the extent to which the firm was prepared to invest in my training and personal development.
There are a wide variety of activities for employees to involve themselves in. These range from pantomimes to football. There is also a gym on-site, which was excellent.
If you are considering a career in commercial law, then I cannot recommend this vacation scheme enough.
Insight / Vacation Scheme (< 4 Weeks)
Banking and Finance Law, Private Client Law, Commercial Law
Central London and City