1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I couldn't have asked for a better placement year to kick start my career.
I worked on a variety of interesting projects and was given responsibility from day one, which for me, was a huge motivator. I felt valued by my colleagues, I learnt a lot and made many friends in the process!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely valued by my colleagues, especially by my manager and other senior stakeholders I've worked with. I was always encouraged to express my opinion and my suggestions were always taken into account. They trusted me to deliver important projects and they even gave me the opportunity to take the lead on a few of them, which was very rewarding.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was always there for me to offer support and guidance. He even took a genuine interest in my personal development and he scheduled regular meetings to discuss my progress, check whether I needed any support and if there was any other area of the business I wanted to explore.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was fairly busy on a daily busy, which for me was just right as I wanted to get as much experience as possible and being involved in many different projects allowed me to do just that. Having said that, work-life balance at Expedia is really good. You will work hard most of the day, but you are not expected to work extra hours unless you really want to.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a great amount of responsibility during my placement, which is what I was looking for. My manager and other colleagues I worked with were confident with me presenting and introducing new initiatives to senior stakeholders in the business, for example, and I was also responsible for the planning and execution of digital marketing campaigns.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have yet to start my final year at university, however I am confident that the skills developed at Expedia will help me with both, my future studies and career. After one year of working for a big company like Expedia, I can say that I feel a lot more confidence and this will surely help me with university presentations and future job interviews.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office vibe was extremely friendly and relaxed. The majority of people are really easy to talk to and always willing to help if you need a hand. Everyone works hard but you will find that people are always up for a quick coffee break or the occasional table tennis match!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company is investing in Early Talent and they are introducing new initiatives, such as an induction week for new interns, to help them familiarise with the different parts of the business (Expedia has a portfolio of many different brands!). During my placement I was given the opportunity to participate in workshops, such as careers panels and presentation skills workshops, aimed at enhancing my professional development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social scene at Expedia Group was really good! I would often go out with my team for lunch or drinks and we would sometimes organise nights out in London which were always great fun. The company also organises monthly staff drinks on the rooftop, where you can enjoy the most amazing views of London and socialise with new colleagues.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
At Expedia there were quite a few opportunities to get involved in activities after work. For example, the company offers a number of classes which you can attend free of charge, such as Photoshop courses, Coding classes and many others, where you can learn new skills and also meet new people.