1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The experience I received working at ProspectSoft Ltd as an Assistant Developer for a period of 13 months is priceless to me. Every opportunity I have been given, every task I’ve taken on and every relationship I’ve built has contributed significantly to the progress of my personal growth. Being in an environment like this, my confidence and my spoken English improved.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Ever since I started, I have been treated like a valuable employee, and I’ve consistently been supported, mentored and encouraged by my team, consisting of experienced and professional developers. They were friendly and willing to help even when they were in the middle of something.
My work was reviewed by others and based on their feedback I was learning and improving my code on a daily basis.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
ProspectSoft put so much time into the placement programme, that right from the very start, I was supported by Directors and Managers in a comfortable, positive and supportive working environment and they helped me to identify areas that I could improve on.
One of the biggest highlights that I aim to take out of this experience is the opportunity I had to present and demo the new features that the development department had been working on in the recent sprint. Presenting to the whole company on the last five ‘Pizza Friday’ sessions, I was able to work directly alongside ProspectSoft’s Development Director and discuss with him in a closer way. This was a great challenge and opportunity which helped me finesses my presentation skills.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
In my department, you could get stuck on loads of things. Working in an agile environment there is always something to do, thus you would not have time to be bored at any time.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
At ProspectSoft I have been trusted to perform highly skilled tasks and operations and I think there isn’t a better way to learn. I will never forget the proud and ecstatic feeling I had after my first month of developing when the first feature I developed positively impacted the Customer Services Team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This placement year will make a huge impact on my final year project, and following the agile methodologies that I’ve practiced throughout the year will help keep track of my progress.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Amazing! There was no day without a laugh or coffee from at least a member of my team.
The atmosphere at ProspectSoft is so friendly and everyone in my department has been extremely welcoming!
It is made up of incredible people that have played a significant role in thrusting me forward in my career and my personal development.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The first month of my placement was dedicated to training and shadowing. In my training sessions, I was shown all areas of the business by senior members of the company which gave me instant opportunities to learn from people with real experience in the industry. After the training period, I was prepared to carry out my role having a good understanding of the business.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
My Development Director has been trying to accommodate my desires and I had the opportunity to give demos and presentations to people which made significant progress on my personal growth.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Most of the developers were once placements at this company and the company is constantly growing.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, I lived with other 5 placements and we have been on a few nights out together or in town for either shopping or a pub.
Everyone at ProspectSoft is sociable, and you can get involved in curry nights and a few social events that take place throughout the year.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived in Oxford which was fairly pricey for a placement.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Lots of student bars and clubs in Oxford which makes the social scene really good.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Oxford is a student area and there are lots of things going on. Living with other placements makes such a big difference as you can join any activities with them.
And if you have an idea regarding a social event or activity, you can freely put the idea out there and get people from the company involved.