1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed my placement at L'Oréal. I think this can hugely depend on what job role, function and division you are placed within and who your manager is. At times, I think that a large amount of pressure can be placed on interns however this in turn all helps you to grow as an individual.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I sometimes felt valued by my direct team however I feel that interns can be looked down upon a lot within the company. The interns do a huge amount of work for the teams, where they would suffer without however I don't often feel this is recognised. An example is when they are not invited to a meeting, but are given a huge amount of actions to complete following it, but then are not given credit for completing these actions. On the whole and from feedback requested at the end, I do feel that my team and division valued my work now but it is not always made aware to you throughout.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
This can hugely depend on who your manager is, I was very lucky to have a very supportive manager, who was hugely talented and I was able to learn a lot from. Some people weren't as lucky with managers that just leave them to get on with work but I think this can flex with managers and individuals preferences.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It can go in waves but at times, very busy. I think Intern's go above and beyond what is in there contract, often overworked. Intern's can be told to not stay late, but then if they don't complete work set for them, then issues arise and questions are asked on your performance. I particularly enjoy being busy however this can sometimes be quite stressful.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given lots of responsibility, which enabled me to learn loads. Sometimes it can be overwhelming however this really helps you to grow and develop as an individual. As mentioned before it can sometimes be a bit contradictory when not invited to meetings but then being responsible for the actions you are required to do after meetings.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I have developed will be essential in future roles. General working life/soft skills will be carried forward in any future studies/jobs with lots of training on offer if you want to take part. I think if you want you can develop your skills as much as you want or just do an ok job.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
there was a good atmosphere in the office with friendly faces! I think this can depend per divison how the atmposphere is but I think the team in particular the directors pa's do a really good job of building morale and team spirit to keep employees motivated in there every day role.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
well set up :) the role is more set up like a full time role than a structured placement, I have never had any issues but I think if you wanted help from hr or support then they would be there to support you and help with issues that could arise.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
can get involved in whatever training you are interested in to develop your skills for the role. I don't particularly think they invest in you as it is skills you require for the work you do for your role which you are employed to do. there is a training platform where you just book on for what interests you!
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
You are not made aware until your last day whether you have a future employment prospect however it can be quite stressful to apply and there Is pressure put on your for this. It is impacted heavily on who your know or what role your in more than what you have achieved.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?