1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Overall I have really enjoyed my placement year. I have had the opportunity to work on so many exciting projects and had so much responsibility from day one. However with such great responsibility comes increased pressure and stress. At first this can be very overwhelming, particularly if you haven't had much experience in the world of work. However, the year has been a great learning experience and I am so glad I have spent the year at L'Oreal.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
On the whole i feel valued by my colleagues. I believe that this has increased over the course of the year as i have taken on more responsibility and built collaborative relationships. I have single-handedly led many important projects that have had a real impact on the success of my brand. Although, I do feel that interns are sometimes asked to do certain jobs simply because they're the most junior member of the team e.g. tidying, ordering product for people.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Personally, i felt that my manager was often too busy to support me with my development. Particularly in the early days of my placement when i was getting to grips with my role. We only ever had ad-hoc catch ups, which for me made it difficult to gain regular feedback. However a member of my immediate team has really helped to develop me and was always on hand to answer my questions and queries. I have also had access to a mentor in a different area of the business who has gone above and beyond to help me gain experience and make the most out of my placement.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was extremely busy on a day to day basis. No two days are the same and your days will fly by. I can't think of one day where I haven't had enough to do. although, sometimes it can be quite stressful as there is so much to do, which can make it hard to focus on one thing.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I given a huge amount of responsibility during my placement. I have had the opportunity to make real change and drive positive results which has been amazing for my personal development. At first this can be a little overwhelming, but you soon realise that you are able to take on more and more responsibility which forces you to become better at managing your time.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Once of the key skills i have developed is time management. Being so busy and having so many overlapping deadlines, you have no choice but to manage your time effectively. As a result I am so much more efficient in completing work.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was great. There is a social event on most weeks either within your division or your team. People are really willing to help each other which makes for a really collaborative environment.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Overall the placement is set up really well. We were given a great advice and information in the lead up to the placement and also there was a great training and onboarding process.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
This is an area where L'Oreal really excels. From your first day you have access to a huge number of interesting and informative training of a really high standard. I have taken full advantage of this during my time and would encourage others to do the same.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I really love my role and would definitely like the opportunity to work at L'Oreal in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living was high, however choosing to pay slightly more in rent to live closer to the office was definitely a good decision. I would encourage other interns to do the same if possible.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?