Support my team on the remerch and other aspects of VM within the NYX PMU team.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
During my placement I had a really great time, all my colleagues were really helpful and I settled in really quickly. On a scale of 1-10 I would say it's been a 7. My placement was great at the beginning and I really enjoyed it, but my manager moved positions during my role and no one replaced her, so I took on her job. If this hadn't been the case it would have been amazing the whole time.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt like my colleagues really valued me, they always made me feel great about my achievements and preached about them around the office. Overall I'd give my team 10/10.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Overall I'd say the support I received was good. My team always want to help each other and make sure we're all achieving the most that we can. I'd give this 8/10.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
On a daily basis I was very busy, sometimes I couldn't take lunch because of the amount of work I had to do, and in L'Oréal this is often the case, I think the teams need to remember to encourage their teams to take for themselves more, as this is something that doesn't happen often. 10/10
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a great deal of responsibility towards the end of my placement due to my manager moving. This was a struggle but we managed to work as a team and it was okay in the end. 8/10
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think overall the skills I've learned will be a great help in my degree, they'll allow me to further my creative side and work harder as a university student. 8/10
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was good, everyone has a nice time and everyday seemed to be interesting. Stress in the building was often really obvious, and this could be disheartening, but everyone tries their best to maintain a good balance.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was quite well organised, at first I was thrown in and had little knowledge on what I was to do, and my team didn't make it 100% clear, but once settled in I knew what I was doing and there was lots of structure to my role.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
L'Oréal invest a lot into all employees by offering lots of different trainings that anyone can take part in and they encourage everyone to better themselves within the work place. There was lots on offer, and always a training for something that I didn't understand.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
For me they are appealing, I have applied for the graduate scheme and if I don't get that then I would still apply for jobs within the business.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Socially my team didn't do much at the beginning, however this picked up when we mentioned it to our GM and towards the end of the year we were doing stuff as a team more often. L'Oréal also offer social activities to everyone like Christmas parties and quarterly quizzes.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I didn't live in Hammersmith but from what I've heard it's quite expensive. For the socialising side of things it's your typical London pub prices, but nothing that will break the bank, and often when we would go out as a team we would get free / discounted drinks.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nothing too crazy, just normal London pubs. The nicest places I went to were Pergola and The Prince, these were more fancy and provided more of a 'night out' than the pubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were things like netball and football club but I didn't get involved myself. L'Oréal would also host quizzes in the office and nights out in nearby pubs / bars.